1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New project. BMW R100S

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by alaskazzr, Nov 2, 2010.

1. alaskazzr

alaskazzr Member

Since I just got back to Alaska after a 5500 mile journey across the lower 48, I have become enamored with BMW motorcycles (I rode my 2010 R1200GS Adventure on the trip). See here for ride report and pictures of trip: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=625022

So, seeing that it's winter here now, I picked up a new project. It's my good friend's old 1982 BMW R100S. He layed it down last summer and wanted it out of his garage.

$500 and it joins my other 5 bikes. It's starting to get crowded around here.
    [​IMG]

I'm not positive if I am going to retain the "S" look with the bullet fairing, or go in a different direction a la "RT" or no fairing at all. Also, since VINs on BMW's do not dictate trim level or color, I have some liberty with changing the color up while still keeping it accurate.

2. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

That bike looks great, not much of a project to restore it. I don't see any major dammage. What are your plans for it? 500$ was a steal.

3. alaskazzr

alaskazzr Member

After pricing "S" fairings, I kind of just want to go with a naked headlight, and maybe just a little flyscreen above it for wind when I ride to work on it. The paint I want is a late '70's scheme of red with black smoke like this: http://www.flickr.com/photos/suzukiman/ ... /lightbox/

The only damage to the bike is a quarter in diameter and 1/2" deep dent on the top of the tank where the controls made contact; the right muffler is crumpled and unusable; the handlebars, controls, headlight, fairing, and instruments were sheared off and unrecoverable; and the forks are twisted up. Other than that it's all there and ready for unbolt-bolt on restoration.

I'll probably gather all the parts, assemble the bike, get it running well, then disassemble everything down to frame and clean, polish, and repaint everything as I reassemble it.

4. schooter

schooter Active Member

wow what a trip.

i really like bmw cafe racers....

5. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

I've not long bought a 1977 R100RS which I will be turning into a Pre82 race bike, but it cost more and wasn't as tidy, good score you got there

6. wizard

wizard Active Member

But they are not propper motorbikes, are they...

7. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

civilized would be a good term

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Why the heck not?

Ever since watching Dave Aldana (back in the '80s sometime) wheelieing his R100RS BOTT (Battle of the Twins, a sadly defunct American series) racebike out of a chicane and all the way up a short chute into the next corner, I've been convinced that BMW knows their stuff.

Have you seen this http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... 2Sport.htm latest iteration of the flat twin? OMG.

Wait until you see the 1500cc inline-four that's on the horizon from them; when that thing comes out all the Japs can just go home. You'll see.

The only reason I don't have a Bimmer in the barn is dollars, period. No way I could afford to feed and house three of them.

9. bigfitz52

So I was just reading the specs of the BMW HP2 Sport; 1170ccs, 133hp at 9500rpm from a flat twin... them's XJ revs! And it's a 6-speed!

Anybody got a spare $25 large just laying around?

10. BillB

BillB Active Member

Im Jealous !!!

11. wamaxim

wamaxim Active Member

Fitz, do you mean the new in-line 6 cylinder? People, with a lot more money than me, are going nuts over the thing!

Loren

12. bigfitz52

It's a SIX??? I gotta go back and find that article...

13. alaskazzr

alaskazzr Member

Yeah as far as I know it's a 6. and 1600cc not 1500. K1600GT was the moniker if I remember the crosstalk on ADVRider.com.
    Edit: here's an article about it: http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/616/7370/ ... -Look.aspx

I certainly believe that the BMW is a proper motorbike. I wouldn't think of anything else to go transcontinental on.

Also the current generation R1200GS Adventure is basically an HP2 motor anymore, the 2010+ bike have the heads from the HP2. When we were traveling across Texas last month, the bike would settle in nicely around 100mph with full baggage and 2up. Dropping a gear and twisting WFO @ 70mph would yield huge power wheelies. Good times.

Picture of a chilly morning in Tellico Plains TN
    [​IMG]

14. schooter

schooter Active Member

yep another inline 6 coming out, im sure rich beemer coffee cup holer mounted to handle bars guys have serious butt hurt for one

but not you alaska, you still have an xj, which cost less than beemer guy's gps'

15. alaskazzr

alaskazzr Member

16. jeffhestand

jeffhestand Member

i cannot believe the luck of some people! I read about another fella that got 2 gold wings both with titles for free! Well, there nothing like early BMW's. I'm jealous too!
    jeff

17. clipperskipper

clipperskipper Member

There's a guy over in the Penton group Kip who just got into the BMW Adventure series.

18. XJ4Keeps

XJ4Keeps Member

The original style fairing added the touch of elegance that made the old "S" airheads so cool, IMO. You should be able to find something on FleaBay that won't bust your budget. You only laid out five bills for the bike, AKZ. Why not splurge a little?

By the way, other than the Roundel badge and a torque advantage low in the RPM band, what's an R100s have that a Seca 650 doesn't?

Just defending my marque, dude. It's an XJ forum, after all. :lol:

19. bigfitz52

Two fewer carbs.

20. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

BMW means

Bring
    Money
    With you