1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New project. Bought my wife an 81 650 maxim.

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by xyxj650, Jul 14, 2009.

1. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

Found this xj650 on craigslist for $300 with a matching lockset including original padlock. My wife got a little jealous I spent so much time with my motorcyle and other related things. So I told her that I would buy her a bike we could fix up together. I will post additional pics as the project progresses.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Got an xj750 tank on it's way for her bike along with new chrome levers and mirrors. I need to replace the mufflers and seat cover. I should have all the other items needed to get it going. I have a set of carbs that I cleaned and just need to put back together and install carb kits.
    I am going to replace the old mufflers with the sportster mufflers. After those things all I should have to do is the polishing.

2. bill

bill Active Member

Cool looks great. I keep telling my wife she can ride the XS but that ain't gonna happen even thought she used to ride. Oh well. Good luck and keep us posted.

3. Wyldman

Wyldman Member

Cool, looks like you got a good starting base.

4. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

I am building a wealth of knowledge on what needs to be done. I started on a couple things with my bike and things keep popping out at me that need to be done. Now with her bike I got that knowledge so hopefully nothing to challenging will show itself. The biggest thing I have learned about these bikes is that a 25+ yr old bike is not new....

5. tomandjerry00

tomandjerry00 Member

I'm jealous! Wish I could get my gf in the garage with me....

6. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

+1 for this project today. The guy I bought the bike told me that the guy he got the bike from just put carb kits in it before he got it. Bike sat for 4 yrs but I pulled the carbs tonight and took a look in the bowls and bottom end of carbs and they look almost as clean as the ones on my running bike. Slides moved freely and even went "clunk". So it should be a fairly easy carb clean. Don't worry even though they are clean I will take NO shortcuts. Only bad thing I seen about them so far is 3 of the 4 enrichment wells were plugged. But I should be able to get that taken care of no problem. I got about a dozen extra bowls laying around.

7. xyxj650

xyxj650 Member

The bike is alive!! Got the carbs cleaned and my wife started it for the first time. I bought a set of sportster mufflers from a guy on ebay and they came in today... No baffles in them and the listing stated no refunds. Sent the guy an email and he is going to issue a full refund and pay for the return shipping. All in all not a bad day. Had 1 surprise with my bike when I was at work. Went to start my bike to run to the store and nothing. Left my key on for a couple hours and killed the battery. What can you do!? I will keep you posted on the progress.