1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New Throttle Tube and Grips for 750 Seca

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Khan, Dec 23, 2015.

1. Khan

Khan New Member

I currently have stock grips and mirrors on my 82 750 Seca. I wanted to put bar end mirrors on but I just found out the generic throttle tube I bought won't fit. Can someone point me to one that will fit? I have new grips to go with it as well since the stocks won't allow for bar ends, but if anyone has grip suggestions I'll take those too while I'm here.

2. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Can you strip the old grips off the stock throttle tube and reuse? I believe the end of the tube was open, and perhaps you can jury rig something to accept the ends?

I believe the Yamaha's of this era used proprietary throttle tubes.

3. Khan

Khan New Member

The only problem is that the tube seems to be glued to the inside the grip and stripping the grip from the tube seems like a big pain. I was also hoping to keep both grips intact (they may not be stock actually, but regardless they are nice). I suppose I could just saw off the end so it'd have an opening for the bar ends.

Might just do that if I can't find another tube that will fit online. The one I got had just a bit too much plastic but I wasn't able to trim it down without ruining the spot for the throttle cable to attach.

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The grips aren't glued to the tube. They are locked in place by nubs on the end of the tube.

You have two options.

1. Leave the grips in place and cut the end out so the bar-ends can be fitted (the end of the throttle tube is hollow)

2. Cut the grip away, and use a dremel or hacksaw to cut the nubs from the end of the throttle tube.

I chose option 2 so I could fit replica Grandturismo grips.

You should also be able to find bare tubes on Ebay if you want to save your grip.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015