1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New to this forum - XJ sputtered out on me now has high revs

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by hoffer1187, Jul 19, 2013.

1. hoffer1187

hoffer1187 New Member

Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum (bought my first bike, a '81 XJ 650 a short time ago) and I was looking for some advice. I rode my XJ for a few miles then died out on me so drained the tank, took out the fuel tap, that was good, got a new fuel line with an in-line filter. I also took out the carbs, cleaned the butterfly's and put a little sea foam directly in the carbs. I put it all back together and it wouldn't start up. So I charged the battery for a about 30 min (levels looked good) and it started up. I took it on about a 3 mile test ride today and didn't die on me but the revs seem way too high when I pull in the clutch and let off the gas. This doesn't seem normal so, if it is let me know but if it isn't please let me know of anything that may be awry.

Thank you!

2. Beck

Beck Member

Sounds like the problem I'm having today. When I got my bike it didn't have an inline filter. I put one in with new lines. Since it's glass, I can see it's running out of fuel, then fills slowly. I found that the line isn't laying on a down slope. It's gravity fed. Maybe it's the same with yours. I just came in to ask what others have used for a filter. I'm about ready to eliminate mine and that doesn't sit well with me.

3. hoffer1187

hoffer1187 New Member

I had to move the line and filter outside of the carbs since it was too big to fit inside. I kind of like the look but it makes me nervous because my leg hits it sometimes. My filter doesn't fill up completely at all. if its an air pressure thing shouldn't that be relieved with the vacuum pump? I also think i put it on upside down :? I was too hasty.

To my original questions about it dieing out on me. Should I start with the battery, alternator, spark plugs, or something else completely?

4. Beck

Beck Member

When it runs out of fuel it will sputter then die. Electrical is either of or on (dies abruptly). I'm having problems with the throttle adjustment too. Hoping someone else can jump in here and help us both with that.

5. Beck

Beck Member

6. hoffer1187

hoffer1187 New Member

OK so I'm guessing its a gas thing then. It sputtered out on me again just now. started sputtering- no reaction to the throttle then died. got it going long enough to get it up a hill so I could coast down to my garage.

I'll do the clunk test this weekend. Thanks!

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Re: New to this forum - XJ sputtered out on me now has high

When you installed the petcock did you inspect the vacuum line for cracks? An air leak can cause the idle to race.

Check the last pic in this thread for a clean fuel filter install (no bubbles in the filter, and fits under the tank).http://www.xjbikes.com/Forums/viewtopic/p=319444.html
    XJ4Ever carries the filter if you can't source one locally.

Any air trapped in the fuel line will disrupt flow to the carbs, and then the bike will stall from lack of fuel. Replace that filter.

8. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

be sure that filter's on the right way....

9. bikeboy929

bikeboy929 Member

Re: New to this forum - XJ sputtered out on me now has high

+1

10. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

-You didn't really clean the carbs.

-There's more to carb service than just cleaning:

Float levels need to be precisely wet-set;

You need to do an accurate bench sync;

You need to do a running vacuum sync;

And for that YOUR VALVE CLEARANCES NEED TO BE IN SPEC.

A racing/hanging idle is most commonly caused by being seriously out of sync and/or wonky float levels.

You have some genuine maintenance to catch up on. Not gonna be a quick or easy "fix."

11. jmilliken

jmilliken Well-Known Member

Thank you Fitz... I missed the obvious underlying cause.... only noticed the problem since adding the fuel filter.

12. hoffer1187

hoffer1187 New Member

Could it also be a hole in the rubber part between the engine and carbs? A couple of them are pretty cracked but I couldn't find any online yet.

13. fiveofakind

fiveofakind Well-Known Member

Cracked Intake boots are definitely a problem.....repair or replace them.....my suggestion is to replace.....but they are not cheap......try flea-bay for good used ones.....

14. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Be careful buying used...they are just as old as the ones he already has. I repaired mine (preventatively as there were only two, very shallow, cracks) and have a savings plan so I can get new replacements.

One of the "big picture" advantages of buying new parts is that it shows there is a demand for replacement parts....if nobody buys, nobody will make, and eventually we won't be riding because of a perceived lack of demand for parts.

15. hoffer1187

hoffer1187 New Member

any ideas of where to buy new besides ebay?

16. wink1018

wink1018 Active Member

chacal has most everything you'll ever need with these machines. Just send him a PM.