1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

New Winter Project - XJ550 Seca

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by gomk007, Nov 2, 2013.

1. gomk007

gomk007 Member

Now that it's close to the end of the season I needed another winter project!

Found a really decent 1982 XJ 550 SECA on Craigs List:

Runs! Idles too....
    Good Compression
    9800 miles
    All Stock except PO already did all the rebuilds on the front brakes including a new ss line.
    PO also included a new clutch and rear brake shoes (new in boxes).

Of course it will need all the regular maintenance and updates that all who visit this board are familiar with.

And yes that's my 82 650 SECA in the background. 3400 miles of flawless daily riding this season so far - Hope to ride tomorrow (Sunday daytime temp 55 degrees so say the weather folks).

Thanks to all who contribute to xjbikes.com!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78422942@N00/10628890844/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78422942@N00/10629140053/

2. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

Looks like a nice find

3. MarkV

MarkV Member

and that is a project bike why

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Nice find! Ride it both with and without the fairing. I think you might be surprised.

That one's got serious potential.

5. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

That's a cool looking bike, good luck and keep ups posted on your progress

6. gomk007

gomk007 Member

So for sure the motor seems solid, it needs a clutch real bad and the front forks are leaking as are the carbs, it's a project to me. I don't plan on a complete resto, but just want to update it as much as possible. I'm cool with a 32 year old bike that shows some of its age. The goal is to have a safe and reliable bike.

So for this winter I'll be doing the following:

Bars - the stock bars are the most in comfortable thing I've experienced, I've already found some seca 650 bars to swop out. I rode it briefly before purchasing it and then about 12 miles the next weekend and my wrists hurt!

Suspension - rear shocks are on the way and I'll be replacing the front springs and oil seals. Probably go with 15 weight fork oil. Rear brake shoes.

Motor - Check valves and replace shims as needed, new plugs, gen brushes, oil and filter change. Replace clutch. Adjust timing chain.

Fuel system - clean carbs, replace throttle shaft seals, fuel rail seals. Rebuild petcock, clean rusty gas tank. Sync.

Electrical - clean all connectors/contacts replace original fuse box.

Tires - the front appears to be an original, and the rear not much newer, they will be replaced before any further riding happens.

I'm sure I'll find a few other items that will need repairing, cleaning etc as I go.

Fitz, hmmm I'll probably have the faring off while I work on the bike so I'll ride this spring without the faring first then put it back on.....

7. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

Nice find, mind me asking how much you picked it up for?

8. bigfitz52

RE: Handlebar: I'm running the "Euro" bend on my 550 Secas, it's very close to the original 650 Seca bar.

The 550 Seca and Maxim came with the same bar, and I too found it horribly uncomfortable. Too tall, weird angle.

Tip: when you switch to lower bars, you'll need a shorter clutch cable. A 750 Seca clutch cable is the perfect length and has the same inner cable:sheath ratio. You'll need a shorter upper brake hose too, but the throttle and choke cables can be re-routed to eat up the slack.

[​IMG]

9. gomk007

gomk007 Member

Price paid: $450 - good deal in my mind (the PO threw in the parts - clutch and rear brake shoes).

Fitz thanks for the tips and mtnbikecrazy, you've defiantly got balls to tackle that bike! We all know it will be worth it once she's running! I've read through all of your posts, thanks for sharing!!!

10. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

For sure a good deal! Esp. with the new parts and brake work done, and complete, and under 10k on the ticker!! deff jealous!

And thanks! Once i get it done i'll let you know next time i'm scootin around the cities on it!

11. gomk007

gomk007 Member

Hey all - Just want to update you on my progress to date as it appears that spring might actually come to the upper midwest....

So I've been methodically working through the bike and have accomplished most of what I set out to do since last November.

The details:

Got the bars changed out, new clutch cable and re arranged the new ss brake line to accommodate the lower bars.

I've been through the suspension, new progressive springs in the front with new fork seals and 15 weight oil. New shocks on back. Bearings in steering head, swing arm and axels good. The steering head was loose and required a tightening - always to catch these kinds of things....

Went through the carbs, new seals in the throttle shafts and fuel rails. When the weather is a bit warmer I'll do a sync. Floats wet set.

Motor- new clutch and needed shims changed on all 4 intake valves, exhaust were in spec. Changed oil and filter.

Brakes - new shoes on the rear (no shoe de-lamination for those counting) new Ferrodo pads on the front. PO had done the mc and caliper rebuilds. Found that the PO had also FORGOT to put a cotter pin in the pin that holds the pads in place on the caliper...wow..... Rotor sent out to be blanchard ground to clean up the minor grooving and spalling.

Tires - ordered Pirelli Sport Demons. Decided to try these so we'll see once I can get out on the road....

Electrical - cleaned all contacts, grounds and any electrical connection. Ordered a "euro" H4 headlight replacement.

Lots of cleaning! chain, sprockets, undercarriage all quite dirty/oily so I've spent a lot of time just cleaning up all the gunk.

So here she is waiting for the wheels to come back with the new Pirellis:

[​IMG]
    Spring is coming by mikesphotos1, on Flickr

12. bigfitz52

Ooh ooh ooh Fitz is getting a warm fuzzy!

NICE WORK so far.

Tip: re-route the stock throttle cable OVER the frame cross bar just above the carbs to eat up some of the extra length from lower bars. I had custom upper brake lines made; and discovered that a Seca 750 clutch cable has the same inner-to-outer cable ratio and is appropriately shorter.

Want to bring that chain guard all the way back to like-original? Mother's Back-to-Black will do the trick.

13. MarkV

MarkV Member

Good deal. Thanks for keeping us updated.

14. lostboy

lostboy Well-Known Member

Be sure to check that the cotter pin is in place on the brake torque rod closest to the brake pedal. Mine was missing and I didn't know it was missing for about two years. Then go over all the nuts and bolts for tightness. You never know what the previous owner may have missed.

15. gomk007

gomk007 Member

Thanks all for the tips. Trickiest bit has been routing the clutch cable. The one I've got on there is about 2 inches shorter than stock. Fitz how did you route yours along the frame and find a point to fasten it so it doesn't t hit the exhaust pipes in front but also keep a nice smooth radius?

16. ecologito

ecologito Well-Known Member

Drool...

17. gomk007

gomk007 Member

Just got the rotor back from being spiffed up! Couldn't find anyone in our area who has experience machining rotors, specifically blanchard grinding, so I sent it to schumannmotorworks.com in Portland, OR. $52 plus shipping - nice job and ten days round trip.

The results:

[​IMG]
    IMG_1855 by mikesphotos1, on Flickr

18. MarkV

MarkV Member

shiny

19. gomk007

gomk007 Member

Ok so FINALLY went for the first ride of 2014! Still a bit chilly (42F) but the snow and ice is off the roads and we had a good bit of rain this past week that has washed a lot of the salt/sand off....

First ride with all of the upgrades to the 550 too, the new springs/shocks are great, no more front end dive. Brakes are solid and the front with the newly resurfaced rotor and new pads is stopping on a dime with change left over!

Took it really easy as the tires are new but already the rubber feels really solid. Tomorrow is going to push 60F temp wise so I'll be out for sure.

Couple of shots....

[​IMG]

Idle with enrichment on...

[​IMG]

Running for the first time in 2014 - started right up in 42F temps...

[​IMG]

Still some snow around...

20. Bigshankhank

Bigshankhank Active Member

Damn dude, that bike looks beautiful.