1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Newbie questions shim trading / purchasing

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Rustyxj650, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Rustyxj650

Rustyxj650 New Member

I'm adjusting the valves on my 82' XJ650 maxim. I have found that I need 4 shims (250, 265X2, and 275) How exactly does shim trading work? Considering you shouldn't rotate the cam with the shims out. Also, do yamaha dealerships carry the 29mm shims for the older bikes? Finally, if I wanted to just purchase the required shims, what would be the best way to do it?

Thanks!

2. boostenlebaron

boostenlebaron Member

chacal has the required shim if you them. they cost about 10 bucks each if i recall. There is a shim bank so you can swap them with those people, i just started a thread on it a few days ago.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I believe Len offers a "quantity price break" if you buy 5 or more.

Aftermarket shims from XJ4Ever are fine, and cost about half of what the Yamaha dealer will soak you for them.

Personally, I don't re-use shims.

4. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

Rusty,

I have one of the Shim Pools, Brad Bowen has the other.

PM me and I'll get you in contact with us, and we should be able to get you taken care of between the two of us.

Dave Fox

5. gaillarry

gaillarry Member

I'm curious about what other bikes use the same shim diameter - Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki ?

6. BlackMax

BlackMax Member

Its not just the diameter,they are tapered as well, best to just get the ones for the bike,When i did mine i just got new ones,no guess work..

7. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

Tapered?? - - The edges are radiused.

They're at your local Volvo or Saab dealership (one of them) for those who can't wait for AWESOME 2 day shipping and low prices.

8. Rustyxj650

Rustyxj650 New Member

I'm just going to buy them from xj4ever. I just need to replace the external slave cylinder on my jeep first. Thanks for all the info!

9. moellear

moellear Member

shims compatability

10 minute research on google and I learned something myself! many kawasakis use the same size (29mm) as us

10. hosiconnon

hosiconnon New Member

I had gone through the post. I am working in the manufacturing company which is very popular in manufacturing the shims both the plastic ones as well as the steel ones. There will be existing some issues between the customers and the manufacturers in case of providing the trading for the shims. I offered to use the more effective trading services. Could you please produce some attachment links but my requirement?

Forex trading
    Stock trading

11. marlkonim

marlkonim New Member

I had gone through the post.The traders are available everywhere now a days, both in online and offline. We had a best trading company in our area which provides trading easily and for affordable prices, also with hundred percent guaranty.There are many trading networks which are using this document. There exists a couple of services which the partner has to invoke, All these are very necessary for the performance and for the best result production. The details provided in the administrator guide is very clear and also very useful.

wellness for life

12. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

lol spam bot dont click those links guys ^^^

plastic shims, eh?? :O