1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Newbie w/ electrical question.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Jeff M, Nov 9, 2019.

1. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

anything can be made to work but you will have to understand how other parts work. first you have to ID your bike and motor as it has become the question of the day.

use this link and enter the long or short vins
    a place for short vin and a place for long vin
    http://www.dissingermoto.com

Identify your motor and frame by the vin

why do you say 1982 750(700) motor? in 82 it would be a 750 motor
    so is the frame a Maxim X frame? in 85 there were xj700n and xj700Xn as well as NC and XNC California bikes emmisions.

you can do a minimum wiring harness . start by wiring up the ignition system.
    then you can use any controls for the lights and starter ect but you will have to wire them according to mfg spec

just an example an 82 xj750 seca has a different right control than an 82 xj750 maxim. the 82 and 83 750 Maxim do not use headlight relays like the secas do making the control unique to the 82,83 maxim

2. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

Yes, I believe you can....

I have used various TCI's and even a set of exciter/pickup coils from the Maxim/650 and 750 Seca with no real noticeable differences ....

I THINK they were all pretty much plug and play....perhaps someone with more..ahem...recent knowledge can back this up?
    ( Most of my avid tinkering/mechanic-ing time with XJ's were back in my UK courier days....late 70's/80's.....needs must when the Devil drives!!....I've forgotten MOST of that, now, lol !!)

3. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

ignition coil and the tci and pickup coils for 650 and 750 YICS airhead motors are the same.
    I do not know if the ignition parts from 700 or 700 X units will work in the YICS motors