1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

No Start Electrical Please Help

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by gbp07, Aug 12, 2012.

1. gbp07

gbp07 New Member

I am working on 82 xj550 and have some sort of electrical problem. I am not exactly sure how the starter solenoid works but when i jump the terminals with a screwdriver the bike turns over every time. I can't get the bike to turn over using the start button. i pulled the start button switch off and took apart and when i apply power to the switch and hit the button the bike cranks. its really hard to explain but there is a blue power wire coming out of the switch and if you connect that wire to power the bike cranks but without pushing the button. any kind of direction, input, or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

Did you check the side stand switch/ relay?

3. gbp07

gbp07 New Member

no but would it matter if the side stand was up?? where is it located is it the one under the battery box??

4. MN-Maxims

If the side stand safety relay is energized you would not get power to your starting circuit. The best thing to do is get a service manual with a wire diagram and trace that blue wire back to where it goes. I'm sure it has to do with the safety circuit.

5. gbp07

gbp07 New Member

i ran new wires from solenoid harness to starter button and nothing but if i take the blue and white wire to a hot wire the bike cranks. there is a black wire hanging out of the starter button (ground)? switch but isnt it supposed to be grounded to the handle bars?? i can get the bike to crank multiple different ways beside the original stock wiring. It is so crazy my mind is going in circles and so frustrating to explain so please bear with me thanks

6. gbp07

gbp07 New Member

So basically bypassing the harness side there isnt any kind of safety circuit involved neutral safety sidestand etc.

7. MN-Maxims

I looked and I dont have the wire diagram for an 82 550 but Im sure someone here has one and they could send it to you and that should help alot. Maybe Fitz has one he could share.

8. SecaMaverick

SecaMaverick Active Member

Need a little more info...

Has the bike ever started for you with the button before this?

Did you paint the handlebars? If so, you isolated the button from ground.

9. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I sure do; all I need is a PM with an email address and I'll shoot off a set.