1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

No XJ Love

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by ghost_rider1967, Sep 1, 2009.

1. ghost_rider1967

ghost_rider1967 Member

:cry: I've been riding my xj for about a month.. and I am not that happy with it... Maybe some one can shed some light on it..
    I feel all cramped up on it.. It may be the seat(Old coachman) or it may because I have to use half choke or it dies.. Dunno.. just not real comfy on the bike...Any Ideas on how to get some XJ love going between me and the xj...

2. ghost_rider1967

ghost_rider1967 Member

:cry: I've been riding my xj for about a month.. and I am not that happy with it... Maybe some one can shed some light on it..
    I feel all cramped up on it.. It may be the seat(Old coachman) or it may because I have to use half choke or it dies.. Dunno.. just not real comfy on the bike...Any Ideas on how to get some XJ love going between me and the xj...

3. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Spend several evenings cleaning and polishing, detail all the bits and pieces. Make it your own bike, put some of your personality into it. When you start getting positive comments it will make you feel like you are part of your bike. Then you will be proud to ride that old machine, then you don't mind that it is old technology.
    I was on my XS1100 the other day and someone at a stop light yelled at me " I did not know they still made those bikes new" . I said in return " Its almost 30 years old, its a labor of love". That made me feel real good.

4. ghost_rider1967

ghost_rider1967 Member

uhmmm.. that may work.. But to be fair, I have been cheating on her.. was ridig a suzuki savage and it felt more comfortable that the xj.. do you think she knows..

5. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Attack the seat.
    Pull all the staples and uncover the foam rubber.

Uses and EDGE 2001 Serrated edged Knife and an Angle Grinder to sculpt a new Seat that don't slide you forward.

Choke:

If you need the Choke ON to run the Bike.
    Your Carbs need to be Cleaned, Clean Tuned and Bore refinished.

6. jhicks13

jhicks13 Member

First off, get your bike mechanically sound. It'll probably frustrate you to no end while you do it, but once you have it dialed in, you'll instantly fall in love with how she behaves.

Now how she feels is a different matter. First, decide what kind of bike you'd like. Something sporty where you're over the tank, or nice and slung back with some big risers.

There's a million and one bolt on accessories for these bikes out there and if you have a look around, you'll get some ideas of what you want.

7. ghost_rider1967

ghost_rider1967 Member

Thanks for everyone's input... I am thinking that I will start with the seat.. Hopefully I can trade someone a regular seat for this slightly (hahaha) used seat.. Then I will tackle the carbs...Time to buy tools... Sears... here I come..

THanks Again

8. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

get her tuned up and dialed in. That'll fix your choke issues. Then maybe get a new seat. I'm 6'4 about 320 and I fit pretty comfy on the bike. Forward controls are on my list for a winter project though. I like to be stretched out a bit more.

If all else fails sell it to someone who does like it and get something that suits you better. Different strokes for different folks right?

9. johntc

johntc Member

Get those carbs off and clean them. Twice. Maybe three times. Get them balanced / tuned. Tell us a bit more about the bike. If you just got it I would suggest new plugs (mine looked great when I got it, ran like crap, new ones helped a lot), new fuel lines, fuel filter, replace rear brake shoes, anything else that looks suspicious.

I'm 6'1" and 200, I know how you feel about being a bit cramped. I guess if you're going to ride fromn Cincinnati to Sturgis you got the wrong bike. If you want to stay in the local area and have a lot of fun on a sweet little ride what the hell, get off every hour or so and get the blood flowing through your butt again.

10. markie

markie Member

I feel a bit lik that about my bike but for slightly different reasons. The riding position is great but she needs more work than I thought and - believe it or not - being on holiday has made things harder to get done. I need to get back to work where i have access to a reasonable workshop and better engineering tools, not to mention parts cleaning bath!

11. ghost_rider1967

ghost_rider1967 Member

THanks again for everyone's input.. I will get teh carbs cleaned... and then see how I feel about her. IF i take her to sturgis I would probably have to sleep with her... hahhaahah... uhmmmm how far is sturgis( midless dreaming...)...

12. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

When you say you have to runs some Choke to keep the Bike running ... you are risking coming to a halt at any time. Running Choke is running Rick which fouls Plugs.

I wouldn't think about going to Sturgis unless it was within 20 or 30 miles.

13. jarreddaughtry

jarreddaughtry Member

A good upholstry shop can go a long way. Just take them your seat, tell them your needs and you will be comfy in no time.

14. Dave_89_VMAX

Dave_89_VMAX Member

I can think of no better group of folks to help you through the process than the xjbiker folks. :D Like all women she needs to know you care... perform the needed maintance and as suggested perhaps a little "reconstructive" surgery. After all alot of women have had "enhancements". take some time to know what you want and gitter done. I have been researching different handle bars, dropping the forks 1.25" maybe lowering the whole bike and boring the top end ... I just know you have to show the love and sometimes that means "show her some $$" I just remind my self that I have made a commitment to her... a 5 year labor of love... mechanics, ergonomics, and paint and she will reward me (as will yours) with a sweet bike made to fit me and my riding style while looking like a queen and perfoming like a wild banshee women. (yes I really do love my bike, I tell my other woman in my life , my wife how much I love them both every day). And when she is done... well it will be time to find that 850 midnight special Bill and owned and add her to the harrem. :mrgreen: And I might not wait till she is done to add the 850 :lol:

Enjoy the ride...

15. ghost_rider1967

ghost_rider1967 Member

Dave
    Step back from the grease gun ...LOL You have been spending too much time in the garage with the lights off LOL>. Seriously I understand where you are coming from.. I will give her a chance ..

16. WesleyJN1975

WesleyJN1975 Member

17. Dave_89_VMAX

Dave_89_VMAX Member

Yeh, so I've been told.... 8O The wife was asking how I got that grease on my collar. Lately I've been hearing whispers & rumors of an intervetion and found pamphlets around the house about some 12 step self help program for bikers. I don't care what they say... I'm staying in denial... I don't have no problem!!! :mrgreen:

18. ghost_rider1967

ghost_rider1967 Member

Denial is good ..until the wife beats you to the credit card statement and she finds out that you bought the bike a anniversary gift and forgot hers

19. Tiny

Tiny Member

Whats the update? Are you feeling any love yet?

20. ghost_rider1967

ghost_rider1967 Member

Oh Do I have an update... TOday was my birthday so I decided to take the "girlfriend" ( Maxine is her name ) out for a long ride... I still have the stupid grin o my face...
    At first I thought i would just go around the block just to get out of the house.. 3 hours later .. I had found a couple of new roads, checked out some farmland rode around a closed Nuclear PowerPlant (scary)... and navigated the dreaded Yellow Buses..( School Bus stops should not be every 30 Feet)...

Let just say I feel the love. She showed her appreciation by going 72 in a 55..( Cop confirmed.. got a warning he must have been a bike guy)..

Let just say.. Cant wait until the next time I get 3 free hours and good weather.. Might even try I75 to work tomorrow..

As I am writing this .. I still have my riding boots on and trying to figure out if I can get out of cuttingt he grass this evening...:)////