1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Noob here with a XJ650 question

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by partagas, Jun 3, 2008.

1. partagas

partagas New Member

Hi, I have a couple of questions
    1) I lost my title so I wrote down the Vin number from my bike. On the bike it says it was built 10/80, but when I did a check on the Vin it pulls up as a 81. So which is it. When I do the paper work for the state I want to make sure I give the correct info.

2)I see a lot people with XJ650 ( Alphabet soup ) How do I found out what I have. I know it's a Maxim 650 but does that mean I have no letter after XJ650?????

Thanks. Plus do not worry, I will have about 101 more questions on what I need to rebuild this bike. Such as what Battery do I need to get. And does anybody have a e-manual for it??? See only 99 more questions to go. :)

Darryl

2. MonkeyWrench

MonkeyWrench Member

It was likely built on Oct of 80 for the 81 Model Year.

3. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

October of 1980 would make it an 1981 model. Same with cars and trucks, too. The letters that follow the "XJ650" tell you what year and model it is. For instance, I own and XJ650H which is a 1981 XJ650 Maxim. IIRC the Secas have their own letter designation and the turbo models their own as well. ...And then you get outside the United States and there's a whole 'nuther set of letter designations. It get pretty confusing unless you have the XJCD to help you sort it out.

So, to answer your questions: You can claim to be the proud owner of a 1981 XJ650H Maxim (born 10/80).

4. partagas

partagas New Member

Kewl, but how do you know it's a H? Or it that the standard for 650 Max's

5. Gamuru

Gamuru Guest

If it's a Maxim it's an H.

6. Deadulus

Deadulus Member

If I remember right....it goes

1980 XJ650G
    1981 XJ650H
    1982 XJ650J