1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

noob question, 1st question is easy, 2nd Q is hard

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by mikedrazen, May 9, 2008.

1. mikedrazen

mikedrazen New Member

noob question 1

how do i get my bike on the big kickstand, i don't even know what it's called, there's a little kickstand which we use everyday, and there's one under the transmission, i can't get the bike to stand on that, i tried a hundred times, i tried with 2 people, then 3 people, no luck, i know the stand works, because the po had it on there.

question 2

where can i find carb rebuild parts for xj bikes, all my online search brings me to ebay, and ebay does not have any carb stuff
    where do you get your parts?

2. treybaxter

treybaxter Member

Dont have a recommendation for the carb parts. But as for the center kickstand, you gotta push like hell and pull back on the bike. What i normally do is park the bike, and take a short piece of 2X4 board and lay it longways behind the back tire. Then roll the bike back so the back tire is up on the board. now put the center stand down. With this 2" jack up in the back, it's so much easier to get the bike up. Now you can slide the board out. Good luck.

3. CdnDave77

CdnDave77 Member

My center stand (likely stock) has a foot pad on it so you can actually step on it to use your body weight. A tug backwards and up on the rear seat handle with one hand (other hand on the front bars) and my 180 lbs on the stand pops it right up. Practice makes perfect.

4. labelleb

labelleb Member

For the center stand the position of your foot makes a big difference. Put your foot sideways and push like you are trying to push it into the ground. At the same time pull up on the side of the grab rail ONLY slightly. The trick is you are not trying to lift the bike but rock it on to the stand. It took me months to figure it out but I'm only 155 lbs and I can do it now.

For parts I have used bikebandit.com and partsnmore.com Both have been good. Chacal, user on here, has parts too.

5. Desinger_Mike

Desinger_Mike Member

On my X, pushing down on the footpad is the key also.
    I can almost get it on the centerstand without pulling back or lifting up on the bike at all.

Don't try it in slippers though DAMHIKT...

6. crewwolfy

crewwolfy Member

7. spinalator

spinalator Member

8. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Chacal. Hit up the For Sale forum; he has a massive parts listing. I'd post the relevant section, but it's too damn long. :)

9. sim37

sim37 Member

AS for the centerstand, I always had a hell of a time, but once you get it its the simplest thing you've ever done.

All you need to do is stand to the side of the bike, put your foot on the peg and push it to the ground. Hold it there, don't worry about pulling the bike up yet. Now gently allow the bike to balance on the two legs of the centerstand. It might fill when you first do it like its going to fall on its other side but trust me if your foot is on the press its not going anywhere.

Once you have it centered on the pegs, push down with your foot and pull the bike up by the frame-rail. Keep your left hand on a handlebar for support. You'll be amazed how little effort it takes to actually pull it off.

10. budlydewright

budlydewright New Member

Hi,

My friend just picked up an 82' Maxim XJ650J for nothing. The bike has less than 600 miles on it but it sat in someone's basement for twenty some years. We I pulled off the carbs and washed the gunk out of them with alcohol and carb cleaner.

Problem is... after we put the carbs back on the bike it won't idle and
    only two of the four pipes get warm when the engine fires at all. It will
    rumble and purr a while on full choke on the two cyls that are getting gas.

Do any of you fine Yamahog fans know of somewhere we could get
    some REALLY GOOD instructions to tell us how to clean and recondition XJ650J carbs? We have lots of time and some know-how but we don't have gobs of money to pay a shop to do the work.

Any help would be appreciated. I just found out about this xjbikes forum. The bike is in mint condition and he's really sych'ed about getting his "new" 650 on the road.

11. YamahoggerJr

YamahoggerJr New Member

I am the "friend" that he is talking about... so if anyone can help us out, please do! A friend said I should have the carbs vaccuumed? I think they only sync the carbs with the vac though right?

12. spinalator

spinalator Member

Welcome to the forum guys. There are somd good FYI instructions on the site, and if you search carbs on the site I am sure there are about 200 threads which will have info for you. I also found the XS11 sight good as well.

13. labelleb

labelleb Member

Check out the instructions by RickoMatic If you do a search by his user name and for 'carb cleaning' you will find a ton of material and even some photos on here

14. wizard

wizard Active Member

if you are going to use the 2x4 method roll the front wheel just up onto the lumber, put the stand down with your foot and just roll the bike backwards off the 2x4 onto the stand.

15. Torgunde

Torgunde Member

I just took my center stand out. It pissed me off getting it to work, reduced ground clearance, and is obsolete with a motorcycle jack IMO.

16. argh1961

argh1961 Member

It's only obsolete until you need to remove the rear wheel on the roadside to fix a tire. :wink: