1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

NorthEast Carb ClinicRideExtravaganza

Discussion in 'Eastern US and Canada' started by geebake, Apr 25, 2006.

1. geebake

geebake Member

I'd like to get the ball rolling on an event here in the North East. I live in South Jersey, close to Philadelphia. I can host a moderate sized event. I have a big enough yard to accomodate loads of tents and a pretty nice garage and set of tools. If we can figure out a date, I'd love to get as many folks together as possible for a little XJ fun. I can put a fun ride together as well.

To get the ball rolling, I'm going to throw out a date. How about the weekend of 20 May? I'm thinking of a schedule something like this:

Friday 19 May -- Folks start arriving, setting up, getting to know each other
    Saturday 20 May -- Morning -- Carb Clinic
    Afternoon -- Ride (North Through the FT Dix area and perhaps out to Atlantic City)
    Night -- More Bike maintenance and merryment
    Sunday 21 May -- Morning -- More maintenace if needed
    Afternoon -- Ride South through the Pine Barrens.
    -- Pack up and head home.

If anyone's interested, please let me know. If that's too soon, we can certainly push it back, but I don't want to hold this off till mid summer.

And the BBQ on Saturday is on me!

Who's bringing the YICS tool?

Greg

2. thefox

thefox Member

That sounds like it would be a lot of fun, sure wish I could make it :( . I am booked for every weekend until July. I'll still be on the bike but June will be spent riding across the country and back, May is still track season so I will be racing most weekends.

3. geebake

geebake Member

The date is very flexible. I just threw 20May out there to get started. Let's start making a list of dates that will work for everyone.

Greg

4. Najus

Najus New Member

Whats the carb clinic all about? I have no clue about carbs but wouldn't mind meeting some fellow XJ owners for a ride and some carb knowledge.

5. geebake

geebake Member

Carbs on XJs and particluarly on YICS bikes seem to be one of the more difficult things to work on. Some members here are real experts and there have been gatherings around the country where they share their expertise. It's also a good oportunity to get to know fellow XJ supporters and have a little fun. I'm new to this game too so I was hoping to get an event together where this can happen. Interest seems to be a little sparse though. Even if a 'Carb Clinic' can't happen, I'd still like to put together a weekend where some of us just meet and do some riding. I'm still open to other dates.

Greg

6. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    I'll be in the area ( just south of Albany NY) in August... probably only going to make one trip south this year.

Other than that - probably heading to Newfoundland in July... not sure what the plan is in June. I was asked to go to Virginia but not sure.

Sounds like a lot of fun - have a blast guys!

7. CTSommers

CTSommers Member

Greg I would be game for a Carb weekend. I know it is a few months away but what about the week of bike week down in North Wood. September 7 - 10, 2006. Have a get together at your place for a few hours so everyone can get to know each other them Roar to the shore.

http://www.roartotheshoreonline.com/fall.html

8. geebake

geebake Member

Sounds reasonable. I was hoping we could get something like this going before the meat of the riding season, but a late clinic is better than no clinic.

Greg

9. jdrich48

jdrich48 Member

I would sure like to join your clinic Greg, but just being a new rider for only a few months. It's just a bit futher than I think I should go at this point. I'd like to get alittle more comfortable with the bike first.

But if anyone alittle closer to me would like some help, I have a colortune, carb sticks, and a home made yics tool, a haynes manual and the the xjcd v3, with v4 in the mail right know.

Having the tools and being proficient with them is another story. I'm by no means a carb expert. I am a mechanic on construction equipment , but bikes are new to me.
    So it is still a learning experience for me too.

If anyone out there might be in my area and interested contact me off list.

I'm not really in a position to host a clinic with food and drink, but we could work a little and ride a little.

I'll have access to the shop where I work, so there would be all the tools we need.

Raleigh, North Carolina

10. geebake

geebake Member

It sounds like this is going to be delayed at best. Perhaps by the time we get it going you'll be up for the ride. Hey, maybe we'll have soem kind of prize for the longest trip getting there!

Greg

11. phillyturbo

phillyturbo Member

:D Hello sounds like a fun time and id really like to learn and tune my carbs.

12. geebake

geebake Member

I'm up for a ride this coming weekend should the weather permit. June 3rd/4th. Any takers? I'd be happy to host some maintenance as well. I'm no pro and I have neither a yics tool or synch gauges, but I bet someone in the area does.

Greg

13. CTSommers

CTSommers Member

Greg, I should have the YICS tool in a few days. After I get the YICS I am going to take my XJ over to my uncle’s place he lives close to Atlantic City. It has been years since I been to his actually place but he is the NVP at family gatherings. Word around the family is he has around 16 to 22 motorcycles no joke. Even raced in a few AMA MX races back in the 1970’s. Anyways he is going to show me how to synch the carbs and I’ll ask him what kind of carb gauges I should buy. Any ways this should all happen in the course of a few weeks. I have to get my bike back together and see what weekends he has off work. But after this I will have all the gear we need for the Carb Clinic along with some better knowledge on how to synchronize the carburetors. I’ll also have to check out that XJ Turbo you been trying to sell. I bet the guys at Riverside Cycles
    360 Domino LN, Philadelphia, PA (215) 482-8777 could fix that bike at an inexpensive price. Great place.

Phillyturbo welcome to the site. What part of Philadelphia do you live in.

14. geebake

geebake Member

Sounds grea CT. My place is on the way to AC! Let's get together.

Greg

15. geebake

geebake Member

CT. I just looked up Riverside Cycles. I'm going to give them a call. Do you live in that area? I lived in Roxboro for several years. I really loved it there. Excellent American Legion! In fact, I'm still a member there.

Greg

16. CTSommers

CTSommers Member

Unfortunately I don’t live in the Roxboro / Manayunk area, it would be a lot cooler if I did. I was living at my brothers place in South Philadelphia near Oregon avenue but his girl friend moved in so I had to go. Now living at my parents place in Westchester Pa. for the time being. Riverside Cycles is great the young guy there knows every thing about old school bikes. He even said if I needed anything for my carbs he had a spare set at his home. I took my bike there two week ago so they could remove the rusted in carb screws that attach the carb boots to the engine block. The total came out to be 60 bucks. Others on this site who took there bike in to a shop said they paid 200 bucks for the same thing. My brother took his Suzuki DR 400 and they made it street legal for around 200 bucks. Added headlights, chain guard, turn signals and filled out paperwork to be sent to the DMV. Oh yeah when you call say that your friend who is a firefighter recommended them to you. My brother was driving that fire truck that was hit by a SPETA truck a few weeks ago but he’s ok. May help get an even lower price.
    http://www.nbc10.com/news/9224956/detai ... i&psp=news

17. phillyturbo

phillyturbo Member

Im in the northeast up near the Airport. Drop me an email maybe we can get together for a ride

18. geebake

geebake Member

Cool. I do some work at PNE. I get up that way pretty regularly.

Greg

19. MacungieMaxim

MacungieMaxim New Member

I am a new rider. I have an 85 maxim x 700. I have a 1600 sq/ft pole barn for a carb clinic. If anyone who has knowledge and experience but needs a place to host give me a message. Im in Allentown, PA.

Al

20. CTSommers

CTSommers Member

Sorry for the delay have been busy all summer with moving and other things. Geebake I just got my YICS tool today and order a top of the line Carburetor Synchronizer and Colortune from Morgan from the UK tonight. All I need to do, after this appears on my front door, is find out how this stuff works. I was also thinking about buying a few feet of fuel line so I won’t have to buy an auxiliary fuel tank just hook it up to the tank while off the bike. When my bike it running like a top I’ll stop by your place some time with all of this stuff. I guess these carb clinics start small and grow after people in the area know the first one was successful.
    http://www.carbtune.com/colortune.html

http://www.carbtune.com/colortune.html

[​IMG]