1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Nova Scotia XJ'ers

Discussion in 'Eastern US and Canada' started by PSteele, Dec 5, 2007.

1. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    Jentronics - jentronics.ns.ca

turn up Ackerly,
    take a right on Williams Ave (just past the Leons), 500 meters,
    take a left on Frase Ave, go 200 meters,
    take a right onto Weston Court... #15... on the left side of the cul de sac.

4:18... I think it was 6:18... but I always get up at the same time. Early for some ;)

2. PSteele

PSteele Member

On my old crock, I replaced the fuse box with all in-line blade fuses. With the NS fog and often damp weather, this seemed like a better and drier solution. so far, so good.

The only real issue is the lack of extra circuits, but that's not a tough problem to remedy.

Bike Blessing next weekend!

3. MACDBF

MACDBF Member

PSteele, Thanks for the reply. Where did you buy the fuse box? I'm looking around now and trying to find it. I have another two weeks or so before my safety course and would like to update it while I have the non-riding time so to speak.
    Good luck on the bike blessing next week!
    Cheers Mac

4. woot

woot Active Member

PSteele looks to have used inline fuses, and not a fuse box.

I found some neat fuses that would require a project box - it's a plastic stick of fuse holders in a row - you cut off the number you want, solder the left side connections together, poke the right hand side out through individual slots in the project box, glue the holes you made with thick superglue to make it waterproof again... label the lid and you're done.

Make a nice project if someone could find the right sized project box - I'd have fun soldering up the connections.

When you do do this project - add in 1 or 2 spare slots for aux...

5. woot

woot Active Member

I just snapped some pictures of the stuff I have... each fuse has its own cap, and the parts interlock - so to add/remove a fuse-holder you just slide it out. It also seems that you wouldn't need to put them into a project box, as they are already individually water resistant...

Not the perfect solution for this project, but what I happened to have in my project box.

Attached Files:

6. PSteele

PSteele Member

Woot, you are correct with your assumption. MACDBF, all I did was head to the local auto parts store and bought 3-10 amp inline blade fuse holders with caps and 1-30 amp - about 8 bucks all told. Labeled all wires, cut out the fuse box, slid on heat-shrink tubing, soldered in the holders, shrunk the tubing with a hair dryer, popped in fuses and fired up the bike. Not as artsy-fartsy as some of the real nice jobs seen on this site, but works well and easily fits the space the old box occupied. To label the holders, I etched the lettering into the bottom of each, really easy to do.

Downside - hard to put a circuit tester to. Upside - really, really dry.

I would take a photo of the end result if my work was visually worthy.

7. MACDBF

MACDBF Member

OK, Guys I finally got enough time to go out and buy some fuse holders! (Actually I had to wait for this half of the series to be finished...MTL vs PHI, and PITS vs NYR). I can't do anything when the playoffs are on...MIGHT BE THE BEER!
    Anyway I went out to NAPA today and bought four fuse holders. They wanted 68 bucks for a small fuse box with around 10 slots in it. So any way I have to get around to putting these in before next week. Hopefully it won't be too hard. Thanks again for the info and tips.
    BTW if your ever around Magee and Chandler in Lr. Sackville, pop in for a cool one.
    Cheers Mac

8. lorne317

lorne317 Member

Hey guys,new guy here.I just bought an 83 XJ650 and found this site in a Google search to solve my fuse box problems.Thanks for the tips on where to find one locally(I live in Beaverbank)

9. onetimer

onetimer New Member

hey everyone just joined and was wondering if there were any XJ night around the halifax area

10. zigzagzack

zigzagzack Member

Hi guys, I am a Nova Scotianer, in Malagash, 1hr, northeast of truro, got my self a 85 maximX750, would love to do a tour if there is one, or a rally or gathering.

Z

11. Ease

Ease Member

So, my ferry is booked for the 24th, 7AM. I'll arrive in NS that evening and head to charlottetown for a while (in my truck, with the bike in the back).

Too bad the effin bridge is so expensive, would be a good day trip to take the bike to NS for some of your scenic rides... Maybe I'll have to... :D

I'll be staying with a girl who is pretty much working from 7AM to 11PM so a day trip would actually be a good idea. Let me know if there are any good events on the go this summer "in the area"

12. eman1974

eman1974 Member

Since this thread has been dormant for a couple of years. Thought I'd give a wave and see if there are any Bluenoser XJers still around.

13. woot

woot Active Member

We're still here - never had a meet though!?!

We'll have to pick a time and a place. I had once upon a time setup a meet at Point Pleasant park... that'd have been 2001 I think?

14. johno8

johno8 Member

We're still around, but finding each other at the same time is the hard part. Woot...can we try a meeting place sometime again...I wasn't on an XJ in 2001. I keep saying that Tim's in Fall River is THE place now to met. I'm there quite often and there's usually 20 bikes there on average, and in the evenings and weekens, there are times when they number in the hundreds. I've seen other XJs there as well. This season is quickly coming to a end though. Will be there at least once this weekend (Sunday morning) and hope next Thursday as well.

15. eman1974

eman1974 Member

Bump - any Bluenosers still on here? I know woot is still around. Any new members? I've been away for a while. but back and ready to ride again - almost. As soon as my part arrive and my MVI is done.

16. patrickcolford

patrickcolford New Member

From miramichi, nb..love to get a rally/cruise together!! any takers??

17. acptodd

acptodd New Member

When the weather gets nicer It's a little icy now :D

18. patrickcolford

patrickcolford New Member

keep me posted..we'll make it happen!!

19. Xman49

Xman49 New Member

Planning on taking a little vacation up through Nova Scotia and on to PEI this late summer/early fall. Unfortunately without my XJ. Any must do's while I'm up that way?

20. fiatguy

fiatguy New Member

Hey Xman,
    There is so much to do here it is hard to know where to begin.
    This is a Tall Ships year so maybe your trip will coincide with them? Check for dates on the internet. Order a free book from the NS tourism website called the Doers and Dreamers guide. It is basically your tourism bible.
    The Halifax waterfront is an amazing hub of interesting things to see and do with a tour of the Old Alexander Keith's Brewery on your must do list.
    Of course the worlds famous Peggy's Cove on every visitors list. If you go on a hot day it is nice to just lie on the rocks and absorb the latent heat.
    Then head to Chester, Mahone Bay, and Lunenburgh. (Unesco Heratige site)
    Also take a trip to the Annaplolis Valley where there are good winery's and amazing little historic farming towns. (NS is not all fishing and lobsters) Wolfville and Kentville being prime examples. A friend owns the Tattingstone Bed and Breakfast in Wolfville. (shameless plug)
    Then there is Cape Breton and the Cabot Trail which is also world famous and the home of Alexander Graham Bell. (you remember him, right?) lol
    If that is not enough, then go to Prince Edward Island which is a vacation unto itself......! Have a great time and too bad your not riding because this is bikers paradise up here.
    Cheers, Keith