1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

OEM Parts

Discussion in 'Other Motorcycles' started by bfg1971, Dec 7, 2006.

1. bfg1971

bfg1971 New Member

I don't have an XJ; however, I do have a Yamaha. A 1983 xv500k to be exact. I am in dire need of a new fuel cock (OEM p/n:22U-24500-01-00); however, every website I go to for Yamaha OEM parts says it's backordered.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might go about obtaining one? Where do you go when you need OEM parts? Thanks for looking.

2. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

When I recently wanted to replace my original petcock, and found that they were on "back-order" (read: may never see again) I simply did a google search with the part number and happened to find a new one sitting on a dealers shelf. Maybe you would have the same luck.

Here's my beef. Even with a brand new vacuum petcock it still leaked fuel into the carbs! (It ended up on the floor, indicating bad float valves too, but that's another thread.) This was after trying to tweak my original a few times, including getting an aftermarket rebuild kit. Then, when the new one leaked too, I threw in the towel with the vacuum petcocks. I decided to go with a simple aftermarket on/off petcock. With this kind of petcock you have to remember to shut it off when parked for any length of time, but theoretically the float valves should stop fuel flow for brief stops at least.

MotorcycleCarbs.com sells high quality on/off petcocks at about the same price as our OEM units. Here's the link if you want to go that route.
    http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/Petcock_ ... s_W151.cfm
    They're good to work with and know their stuff.

Z

3. bfg1971

bfg1971 New Member

Thanks for the info WeAreZilla. I've condsidered the on/off/reserve route, but the problem is that there is a fuel return line that goes from my carbs back to the petcock and I wouldn't know what to do with it. Do they have some kind of tech support at motorcyclecarbs.com that I could run that by them?

4. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

Yes, ask for Robert. He should have a handle on all that stuff.
    (770) 974-8851

Z

5. bfg1971

bfg1971 New Member

Fantastic!! Thanks for the help!

6. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

OK, I didn't challenge you before, but I am still curious...

I have no experience with your Virago or its' petcock, but I did look it up on a parts diagram and I only saw two hoses for the petcock. If it's vacuum actuated, there would be one hose that goes to the carbs, and one hose that goes to an intake manifold. The hose to the manifold opens the vacuum valve to allow fuel flow only when the bike is running.

Does this sound about right, or is it set up differently?

Z

7. bfg1971

bfg1971 New Member

@WeAreZilla - Check your email to see a diagram of the hose routing on the Virago's fuel cock.

Have a look at the right hand side of the top diagram on the attached PDF. You can see the fuel inlet pipe and the return pipe connecting to the petcock (they are both labeled). At the bottom of the petcock is an unlabeled pipe that goes to the left carb, that is the petcock vacuum pipe.

8. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

Got it. Bike is equipped with a fuel pump, and three hoses for the petcock.

Thanks for that bfg.
    Z