1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil dripping onto the exhaust: Holy Smokes

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by codylg, Sep 22, 2014.

1. codylg

codylg New Member

Hey everyone,

Ive been lurking the forums for quite awhile and just want to thank everyone for their commitment to solving problems on these old, but still very awesome bikes.

Ive had my 82 seca for just under a year and have an issue for the first time.

I have oil dripping from the bottom of the Tach Drive housing pictured in photo 1. I do notice a small gap at the bottom of the Tach Drive, is that normal?

Also, I have already followed the guide to replace the Oil Seal and the O-ring that I ordered from the dealer.

Ive taken that baby apart probably 15 times now and reinstalled it to the point that I could do it in my sleep now. Still no luck.

I have new suspicions for the source of this leak.
    Picture 2 and 3 are of the area just above and to the right of the Tach Drive and I am now suspecting a bad Valve Cover gasket.
    photo 1.JPG
    photo2.jpg
    photo3.jpg

Is there anything I can be missing?

Thanks in advance.

2. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

What was the condition of the gasket and valve cover washers (donuts) when you put the valve clearance in spec? Are any of the bolts stripped? A 30yr old gasket and donuts is due for new. The bolts bottom out and should not be over-torqued which leave the donuts pressing down on the cover. Imo clean the area and apply a small amount of baby powder. The leak will show. Hope this helps.

Gary H.

3. codylg

codylg New Member

Thanks Gary,

From what I was told by Chacal the 82 seca is a non YICS engine that doesnt require the donuts, but I do have a new gasket in the mail, that baby powder idea is great, ill get on it!

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

All 1982 Secas and Maxims should have YICS heads. The easy way to tell is the valve cover has YICS cast into the top.

5. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

USA version XJ650RJ Seca models were indeed non-YICS models.....leftover production from the 1980-81 Euro XJ650 models. Late 1982 XJ650RJC Seca models-----Canada only, the "red bikes"...........came with YICS engines.

rocs82650 likes this.
  6. rocs82650

And YICS on the crankshaft side covers unless someone has switched them with non '82 covers (the covers are interchangeable). Some are blank, some have DOHC (Dual Over Head Cams) on them. Hope this helps.

Gary H.

7. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I forgot that bit. Oops.

8. codylg

codylg New Member

The sage like knowledge of Chacal and his absolutely amazing customer service is what made me start posting, not to mention having a bike older than me. :)

9. rocs82650

Chacal knows. I'm a 3yr active member. I can count about 5 other active members I think are as knowledgeable about these bikes as Chacal (I'm certainly not one of them).

10. codylg

codylg New Member

Hey all,

Update:

So with the amazing help of this forum and the lightning fast and reliable service from Chacal, I was able to replace my valve cover gasket.

Two cups of coffee, Two beers, Otis Reddings greatest hits and two Sabbath albums later I had absolutely no oil drip and the smoking stopped after excess oil had burned off on a few parts.

So if anyone is facing a condition where you replace your Tach Drive seals and it still seems to drip, it can very well be the valve cover gakset leaking right above and collecting around the drive housing making you think youre losing your mind.

Thanks everyone!

rocs82650 likes this.
  11. maxim-man

maxim-man Member

Glad you worked it out! Always nice to hear a win!!