1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil filler plug temperature guage

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by cgutz, Feb 17, 2017.

1. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience with the oil filler plug temperature gauges that fit on the air cooled XJ's.

Useful or worthless?

2. BigT

BigT Active Member

I believe there was a previous discussion about this and if I remember correctly the general consensus was its definitely not necessary, but no such thing as too much information.

Also there was concern whether it would actually give a reliable reading since the oil level drops once the engine is running and the thermometer may not actually reach the oil.

k-moe likes this.
  3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Yep.
    If you want to know the temp of the oil there are better (but not as tidy or cheap) ways to do that, and you'll get an actual oil temp reading.
    Those oil-cap type gauges do work, but the location of the clutch basket on the XJ series (and a bunch of others) prevents the temperature probe from being able to actually reach the oil. Besides, what you really want to look at is oil temp at the head (what a geeky guy like me want s to look at is the temperature differential between the head and the pan).

BTW, you don't really need to know the temp of the oil on a reguar basis. If you ride in hot conditions just change the oil a bit more often.

4. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

The purpose was to allow emissions testing equipment a place to get an oil temp reading as a method of determining whether the engine was "fully warmed up" before conducting the emissions test.

5. k-moe

He's talking about the aftermarket gauges. I wasn't aware of a factory service gauge. Any photos of one?

6. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

Oops, my bad, you are correct Lord High Maximus K-moe ( May His Name Be Praised Forever ). I was thinking of the factory drain plug that accepts a screw in the center of it............that's what I get for thinking!

7. k-moe

I'm just a guy, fallable and foolable.