1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil leak worth fixing?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by daveflick, Jun 26, 2009.

1. daveflick

daveflick Member

I think I have a leaky head gasket. I have a slow drip down the fins onto the left side cover and keep getting drops of oil on my pants when I ride. Seems like a pretty big job and the gasket part itself costs alot of money. Does anybody know a bargain fix for this?

Attached Files:

2. bill

bill Active Member

Have you made sure all the bolts are properly torqued?

3. daveflick

daveflick Member

I did take the tank off and tighten up what I could. I don't have a torque wrench to measure, but the were all almost impossible to budge, so unless they are overtight I don't know what else I could do.

4. 86xj700_indy

86xj700_indy Member

there is a swap meet in Matrinsville on the 12th of July and there will be a guy there that has about 14 of these bikes and he will give advice and sell parts but he would rather give advice and tinker on your bike for you than sell anything

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

It might be your cam chain tensioner gasket and the oil is running around the front before dripping. I don't see it quite as far up as the head gasket; the blasted camchain tensioner gasket will drive you crazy thinking you have a more serious problem. (Don't ask me how I know.)

6. fore4runner

fore4runner Member

Is it possible that the leak only appears to be worse on the left side because the bike leans to the left when it is on the kickstand? Therefore it could be coming from a more central location like the cam chain tensioner.

7. Hillsy

Hillsy Member

Sounds like you've tried to tighten the cam cover bolts. I think bill meant re-torquing the head.....which involves removing the cam cover and using a torque wrench.

If I were you I'd get as aerosol can of degreaser and clean the engine first up. Then take note of where the leak is coming from with a clean engine. My bet is on the cam chain tensioner too.

8. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Be careful. The valve cover bolts have stop collars on them, they cannot be "tightened up." They can be stripped out if you try to tighten them more.

The best way to figure this out is to use "engine cleaner" from the auto parts (I prefer the citris type, just be sure whatever you pick it says to use it on a cold motor) and contact cleaner to get the whole top end CLEAN. Then run the bike and watch for the origin.

It may take some doing. I was chasing what I thought was a base gasket issue and it turned out to be my #2 carb float bowl was loose. The leaking gas was dissolving built-up oil residue from the leaky cam chain tensioner gasket and running around the base of the cylinder.

9. daveflick

daveflick Member

sounds like I'm looking in the wrong place. I'll spend some time with it, clean up everything and try to pinpoint. I do think it is from the middle of the engine. between the middle 2 exhaust.