1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

oil leaking every where ????

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by skooterbum, May 5, 2009.

1. skooterbum

skooterbum New Member

well after getting the carbs working good, i finally took it out for a short ride. it ran out great.
    i only put 3 or 4 miles on it. it sat for a week before i went to take it out again, and while it was warming up i noticed oil puking out of the left side bottom side cover.
    when i got the bike i noticed the valve cover gasket was leaking so i replaced that.
    by the way the bike is new to me. i just recently got it.
    it is a 1986 xj 700 with only 15,xxx miles.
    did i buy a piece of crap ?? should i start parting it out to try to get some of my money back ??
    please let me know what i should start checking first.
    could the oil pump be the culprit ??

thanks in advance for any help with this.
    ron

2. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

Is the oil coming from under the side cover?
    I expect that it is the airbox that's leaking oil/fuel, as the bike leans that way on the sidestand.
    Smell your oil at the fill hole, smells strongly of gas?
    If this is the case:
    You've left your petcock in the prime position or your petcock is not shutting off properly.
    And/or you have a needle valve not seating properly.

3. Kendall

Kendall Member

I could be wrong, someone correct me if so, but check your oil for gas also.

Mine did this because I may have had my floats on upside down (there is no proof it was not the previous owner lol) , it was the first time I took carbs apart.

But anyway check that before you run around with super thin oil.

4. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Either you overfilled the crankcase (or the PO did) OR the scenario outlined above by Hound happened and filled your crankcase up with gas.

Kendall is right, you need to figure out and correct the issue especially if your oil is now full of gas.

5. skooterbum

skooterbum New Member

i kind of exagerated about the oil leaking every where.
    it is a steady little stream coming from the bottom of the left "engine" side cover, only when the bike is running.
    the oil does not smell of gas. it is nice clean oil. i just changed the oil and filter, and i put in 3 us quarts of oil, after draining the engine, and replacing the filter.
    i thought it could be partly due to carb problems, but when i set the bike upright i can see the oil level drop below the top of the oil sight guage. also i do not smell gas in the engine through the oil fill hole.
    i did some reading in this forum after posting my problem, and i am now worried that i have some piston ring problems. i am going to do a compression check to see what that tells me.
    if i have to remove the top end on this bike, can it be done with the engine in the frame, or do i have to pull the engine ??
    if i do have to tear into the engine, are there any performance parts available for these bikes ?? such as, bigger pistons, hotter cams, and heavier valve springs ??
    if this ends up happening, can some one refer me to a good parts supplier for these type of parts ??
    thanks for having such a great forum, and thanks to all the fine people that are here to help people like me !!!!!
    ron

6. redfire

redfire Member

chacal, the local parts guru here on the forum has most any part you need in stock and he ships fast. doesn't sound much like a ring problem, but more of a leaking gasket somewheres