1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oil question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by GCamp13, Oct 17, 2009.

1. GCamp13

GCamp13 New Member

In both my bikes, 1981 XJ650 Maxim and 1982 XJ750 Seca, I have tried using Rotella Oil and the clutch seems to be slipping. Probably Oil causing slip? Will replacing with Yamalube correct slippage?

2. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

I've never used Rotella T, but I do have an '82 SECA 750. I used to use regular Castrol GTX 20W50. I recently switched to Amsoil's 10W40 motorcycle oil. Neither has given me any clutch problems. I do find, though, that the starter clutch is more sensitive to low battery conditions and long cranking with the Amsoil than it was with the Castrol.

Of course, you might just have other problems with the clutches and the Rotella may be a coincidence. Have you double-checked that the clutch free play is properly adjusted and that the cables aren't binding? Also, what particular weight and type of Rotella are you using?

3. GCamp13

GCamp13 New Member

15W40

4. GCamp13

GCamp13 New Member

My Seca had Carbs overflow into oil and I thought that could have caused slip in it. My Maxim just started slipping when I put Rotella in it. Is there any easy fix to try?

5. lopezfr2

lopezfr2 Member

i havent tried this but ive heard other guys who said they used 2 quarts of just regular motor oil and for the 3rd quart they add the motorcycle oil and thats been enough to solve the clutch slippage. anybody else heard of that? im curious to know since spending 35-45 for an oil chance sucks when regular oil is a fraction of the cost