1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

On the road again, '83 XJ550 Maxim

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by cgutz, Sep 9, 2015.

1. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Bought it new in 1985, two months before my wedding. Hasn't been running very well for 10 years. Thanks to this site she back running better than ever, just shy of 24k miles. Among other maintenance, new brakes, carb cleaning, new cables, repacked wheel bearings, new fuse holders, fixed the leaky tach housing, restored leaking fork seals using 35mm film (yes it really worked!). I could not have afforded to pay someone to do the work, but this site gave me knowledge I needed to DIY.
    I had forgotten how fun thus bike is. Not pictured is the new front tire and grips my wife bought me. I will be showing it at a local vintage car and motorcycle show this weekend.
    On the road again....
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    Alan63 and Stumplifter like this.
  2. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

3 things:
    1. I can't see your pictures.
    B. I hope you do well at the show.
    III. What is 35mm film?;)

That is a joke, btw. I actually studied photography in college some time in the last century. Lots of dark room time. How did you use film to fix the seals?

3. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

I recently acquired my Dad's Minolta XG1, I like old film but also appreciate the ease of digital.

I believe you stick a length of film in between the seal and the fork and slowly rotate around the fork while drawing the film up and out. This grabs any schmuck/ debris and pulls it out allowing the seal to sit on a fresh clean fork surface.

4. MattiThundrrr

MattiThundrrr Not a guru

Ahh, so any mylar or acetate would work. Not necessary to use camera film. I wouldn't even know where to find it anymore. Antique shop perhaps?

5. Xythin

Xythin Member

If you live the US you can still get 35mm film from walmart for just a few freedom bucks. If you're somewhere else *shrug*

6. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I understand the film sprocket holes are an important part of the fork seal cleaning as they help pull dirt out. I dug some old already developed negatives out of storage. It will of course ruin them.

To clean carbs I simply drive four tankfuls of fresh gas and alternated Mercury Quickleen and Seafoam in every other tank. Went from sputtering to running like a clock. I know many think it is snake oil, but the local Mercury dealer told me he never tears down old carbs on outboards, simply uses Quickleen mixed up strong. I simply used the mix on the instructions. Runs well and gets the same mileage as when new.

My carb boots were cracked. I will probably replace this winter, but for now I painted flowable silicon windsheild sealer on them and let it dry. Two coats. A buddy who knows cycle maintenance checked it out and said it doesn't appear to be running lean, so must have worked.

I can see the pictures. Not sure why others can't. I will try uploading file rather than using a link:

20150707_190159.jpg 20150707_190136.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    TheCrazyGnat, Ray, rocs82650 and 2 others like this.
  7. Stumplifter

Stumplifter Well-Known Member

<wolf_whistle>

That is just plain old sexy!

8. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Just like its owner :)

9. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Here is a picture from the car and cycle show this weekend. I neglected to note on the registration card it is showroom stock/unrestored. I was beat by a nice 1971 Kawasaki 500 right next to mine that had been restored bolt by bolt and was perfect. Many visitors asked when I had restored mine. They were very surprised to learn it is factory paint, chrome and seat. Even the owner of the winning bike asked how much restoration I had done! 4691.jpeg

It was really fun, and a lot of compliments. Next year....:)

Odometer rolled 24k miles today.
    20150913_155628.jpg

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
    Ray, Alan63 and Stumplifter like this.
  10. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Spring is here! After the work I did last summer, it started after about 20 seconds of cranking and ran well. Didn't even have to charge battery as battery saver did its job over winter.

Put the windshield back on last fall to get a few more weeks of driving in the cooler weather.

3674.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
    Alan63 likes this.
  11. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

Resurrecting this old post because after a winter I'm back on the road again, and I am continually amazed at how fun the xj550 is.

After last years maintenance and adjusting valves this spring, it is running sooooo nice. Almost like when it was new!

Power has increased, smoothness has increased, top speed and acceleration has increased, fuel mileage has increased, reliability has increased, ease of starting has increased, smiles and fun have REALLY increased!

Thanks to all the xjbikers who have helped on this forum.

k-moe likes this.