1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Oooppsss

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Rifkinn, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Rifkinn

Rifkinn New Member

Got a little education on how far off my speedometer is the other day. I'm moving and my friend drove my car behind me as we took some pretty roads with little traffic on them. A nice ride of about 120 miles, my first one that long in miles at hwy speeds.

The tank was not full when we left so I gassed up about halfway there and my friend asks me if I was riding in my comfort zone. I said sure, except when we come up on slow traffic. When we got down here I asked him if there was a reason for the question and he said yup. When I had no traffic in front of me I was doing 70-75 mph, according to the cars speedometer. I was seeing 55-60 mph all the time and was really shocked when he said I was going that fast. I didn't realize it was reading that far off. The tach had me seeing about 5000rpm in 5th.

One lesson learned before it becomes a big ticket lesson, hehe.

2. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

That's odd. With every jap bike I've owned (alot of them) the speedometer was always reading atleast 4-5 miles faster than I was actually going. Yours must be a isolated case.

3. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

At LEAST 4-5mph.....I've had some probably as you have that have been OVERrated by nearly 10! The only thing I can think of is a non-stock wheel or gearing?

jeff

4. maverickbr77

maverickbr77 Member

My dad brother and me were riding the other day. all of us read 60 on the speedo and my brother was noticeably pulling away from dad and I. My bike runs pretty even with all the family cars. The cars also run even with my gps so my bike should be pretty well on. All the bikes are running all stock so its not an odd sized wheel or gearing on ours. I might try giving his cluster a good cleaning when we do some work on the bike later this year and see if that helps.