1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Original wheel bearings?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Fuller56, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Fuller56

Fuller56 Well-Known Member

Cary, NC (winter) Harpursville, NY (summer)
    I am preparing a Seca 750 for a new home, new tires and such. I find the front wheel bearings tight, not grinding, just not smoothly, easily turning so am changing them out. I find the installed, single sealed bearings with the metal seals toward the center of the wheel, not facing out towards where I would expect contamination to come from. The outward facing portion was open. Would it come from the factory installed like this and why? I acquired the bike from the original owner with 23k-ish miles, a friend of the wife's family and find it unlikely he would have done such, not a mechanic.
    Any thoughts from those who have been in original equipment, unmolested bikes? It will now be receiving double sealed bearings.
    Thanks for the input, this isn't critical info but I am curious.
    John

2. bensalf

bensalf Well-Known Member

i would assume thats so they can be re-greased from the outside , there should be dust seals to keep the elements out.

3. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Well-Known Member

Oem bearings would have been rubber seals.

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

20k is about the time to consider replacing them