1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

$$$our bikes$$$

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by swe-eet, Feb 21, 2013.

1. swe-eet

swe-eet Member

Nice title I know..

Just wondering what is the real time market value on our beloved xj bikes.. I see similar bike model to mine go from 400 Buck( very pour shape) all the way to 3000 Buck low mile good looking..
    I know what kbb. Is saying my xj650max. Is going for but that dose not mean someone will pay me 1600 for OK bike. .

What are secas going for as well because I'm ran in to a 1100 bike and the Guy want 4000 for it obo...

So let me know what you all think all the bikes are worth in a OK shape I don't mean mint #

And please don't say the bikes only worth what someone will pay That dose not help me

2. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Book values are problematic. They are misinterpreted by most, not always based on sound data, and can often be wrong-even so they are a tool for getting close to the real value.

If someone is a collector or wants a particular model and if they aren't alone in that quest=high demand, then a fairly lame machine can bring a fair amount of change, even more so if it was/is a rare bike. Honda 350 fours are an example and race-fitted Yamaha's another.

Not sure where you saw $1600 for 'OK', typically a not rare XJ at $1600 would be a bike that isn't missing any parts at all (has all cosmetics), is fully functional, has new tires, decent to great paint, and been properly maintained-it would be considered in excellent or very good shape.

For everything that needs work, needs to be replaced etc. You would take off the maximum expense of said work/replacement. So an average XJ 650 Maxim with old tires, needing carb work, missing side panels, leaking forks (just an example that is pretty usual), etc. would be worth around $6-700 if it runs and has good compression. Not running...well good luck selling that for anything reasonable to anyone with sense. Tops $300.

Now a fully restored XJ in pristine shape with low mileage could be worth $4000. It really all depends on demand, interest, rarity, and who's asking.

3. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I always wanted to build a Seca 1100 !!

2 more factors are time of year ( now is excellent to buy)
    and your location - meaning, was your area flooded with bikes 30 years ago, and how far are you willing to drive??

I drove 1,000 miles to pick-up my Seca 900 - running condition, $900

4. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Another thing to consider...asking price isn't the same as selling price. Don't go by what people are asking to judge what your bike may be worth.

5. BruceB

BruceB Active Member

What is the value? I guess that would be up to the owner, seller and buyer. If someone had a pristine bike with all maintenance current, all records to prove it, more brand new parts than old, what would that be worth to someone who really wanted that particular model? Now if it is an 30 year old bike that has been neglected for the last 25 years (like the one I got) and you end up spending $$$$ and time just to make it look ok and safe to ride, then that has a different value. Books regarding value are to sell books...nothing more or less. Go with what you want. If it is the bike of your dreams...how much is your dream worth? But a turd is always just a turd...:)

6. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

I can say i paid too much for mine , but with the past history and loss of my first one bought brand new in 81 i was willing to look past all the hours of work and parts needed to once again have one in my garage . Its one of the best most complete running bikes i have seen. So i accepted that the deal was not in my favor as far as price but a seca got is a seca got and to me its worth everything i went through to have it in my garage

7. maximike

maximike Member

I paid $950 for mine. Salvaged and needed tank and various work shown in my long signature(and some I haven't added, or forgot) Now, I love my bike, but I never expect to get more than $1,200 for it.

And I would never pay more than $1,500 for ANY XJ. Just my opinion. You can get them too cheap and do the work too easy to pay a premium for a restored one. And for $3,000 or more I can get so much more bike, without extra work needed. Just my .02

8. ElkHavenSeca

ElkHavenSeca Active Member

Guess it just all depends on what it is worth for the person looking to buy . im at about the 1500.00 dollar mark after i sold the luggage that came with mine , and all it really needs is my carbs and pet cock rebuilt .. it runs great now just leaks a little fuel .it also came with a very hard to find fairing . so all in all it really just depends on how bad you want it .. i figure mine to be worth the 12 to 16 hundred but then i dont plan on selling it so im good with that . never been on a maxim , not really my style of riding , but they do have a great power plant and almost seem to be more popular than the seca to a lot of people .

9. swe-eet

swe-eet Member

Well I take it when I gave 400 bucks and a 22 Cal rifle for it (gun worth 50 bucks) I did good. It did run when I got it an stop but after it sat for a week I found carbs needing somewhat rebuilt long story. Fuel cock still needs fixed but I'm useing a inline for now. Its dented everything's there just paint parts look like hell. But reading what y'all said I did good and should be able to get a good turn around on it since I bought low. Its still not done I got a car I'm trying to finish.

How ever the seca 1100 was on Cl under my area. Its was Yamaha blue and white will r6. Upgrades for front end and a retro fit Turbo. Didn't know that till I looked at today. It looked good but it was a nice mix between old s school looks and new school parts. How ever I did Not buy it he just had very little give on it and the oil cooler was cloged so the Turbo ran hot. An that's bad.

But I'm takeing a good $ amount for my bike will be about a 1000 bucks then after a nice body spray

10. maximike

maximike Member

TimetoRide mentioned this in passing, but just to be clear...what in the world is this bike? Seca 1100? It's hard to figure out a value on a bike that is either a totally custom job or is really a Maxim 1100 or Seca 900. There ain't any Seca 1100 that I know of.

11. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

There wasn't/isn't. Somebody built it from who-knows-what.

12. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Active Member

Frankenstein

13. MiGhost

MiGhost Well-Known Member

Lower 48 in general. Otherwise Central Mitten.
    No. That would be Frankenbike.

That is how some of us figure out whiah parts can be switched, and swapped to get the desired outcome of the projects we are working on.

Ghost

14. swe-eet

swe-eet Member

w ever the seca 1100 was on Cl under my area. Its was Yamaha blue and white will r6. Upgrades for front end and a retro fit Turbo. Didn't know that till I looked at today. It ooked good but it was a nice mix between old s school looks and new school parts. How give on it and the oil cooler was cloged so the Turbo.

Its a custom bike based off a Max... 1100

I thought I was clear but I guess not sorry

15. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

In round numbers - and my opinion,
    Maxim 1100, titled and running is worth $1,500
    A sorted-out and plumbed Turbo adds $1,000 - maybe more.
    A great paint job adds $500
    Upgraded front end, brakes?? and some new chrome adds 500??

So $3,500 + is a good guess - - got pics ??

16. swe-eet

swe-eet Member

Sorry thought this was a deadpost no pics just seen it on my Cl for my area and looked at it. Bikes gone now sold it for 4k and I wasn't going pay That

17. 750E-II_29Rbloke

750E-II_29Rbloke Active Member

wow that frankencycle made strong money even for a turbo, if the oil cooler was blocked and turbo was gone... is that what you said?

wish it was simple to find out what mine's worth, nobody else has got one though and it's a factory built frankenstein job lol ah well I ain't selling :)

18. swe-eet

swe-eet Member

LOL yea that what I said but it was a nice bike. But your right it is hard to say what the going cash deals are on any bike. I guess all bike are only worth what ones will to pay

19. SecaRob

SecaRob Member

Somewhat of a timely post. I am considering selling mine and am curious of the value.