1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Paint code look up

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by Mototimothy8, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Mototimothy8

Mototimothy8 Member

Hey everyone, its that time of year again. The winter projects are starting or already full steam ahead. Me I'm kinda always working on my bike but anyways...

My goal this winter is to paint my front fender, tank, side covers, rear tail light housing, the saddles bags, and whatever else is the same color. And that's where I run into my issue. I've looked at xj4ever's post for the paint but I couldn't find my paint code. My bikes an 1983 xj750 seca silver metallic paint. I would like the paint code and or know the name of the specific color. Also with this paint code, could I take this to my local carquest autoparts store? They can mix paint there and I get the shop discount because I went to the vo tech school they're partnered with. If I can't, they have a scanner that can create a paint code as close as possible to the paint now. Any help is appreciated, and look forward to hearing from you all soon. I'll be documenting it all this winter, including some other projects on the bike.

2. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

Code 33 Competition Yamaha Black was used on:
    - All XJ550 models, all XJ650 models (except Turbo), all XJ700 models, XJ750-X models, all XJ750 Seca models, and most XJ900 model frames.
    1981-83 XJ750 Seca swingarms.
    - All models steering fork lower or "under" bracket.
    - 1982-83 550 Seca and XJ750 Seca lower fork tubes.
    ==============================

The "invisible parts"----such as horn brackets, kickstands, centerstands, footrest brackets, and engine mounting brackets, etc.----tend to always be painted in a true zero-degree gloss, or what is commonly called "flat black".
    Code R4 Flat Black was used on:

- most kickstands, center stands, footpeg brackets, horn brackets, and some model engine mounting brackets. NOTE: the visual distinction between R4 Flat Black and Code 98 LGB (low-gloss black) is a very fine line; many pieces that are specified by the factory as being painted R4 seem to appear to be painted LGB when a brand new sample piece is viewed. Since many such items are, as we noted, normally "invisible" in normal viewing situation, it doesn't really matter which finish you choose, although on the centerstands and kickstands, the slightly glossier Code 98 LGB finish is more attractive.

In fact, due to the harsh treatment and environment that the kickstands and centerstands have to endure, we suggest that you consider having these two small pieces powdercoated to insure the toughest, almost-bulletproof finish that only powder-coating can provide.
    ===================
    One unique structural component finish was the XJ750RL Seca and many XJ900 model swingarms, which used a light silver metallic finish. TermedCode 35 Competition Yamaha Silver, these two applications are the only use of this color on any XJ series bikes.

HCP7924SP Aftermarket X-ACT MATCH BODY PARTS PAINT features the correct Yamaha Code 1U Quartz Silver metallic high-gloss finish as used on painted metal and plastic body panels, cowlings, fairings, etc. Requires no special surface preparation (besides absolute cleanliness!) and cures without heat or catalysts. Primer is required. This very light, silky silver has a very fine backdrop of metallic within it, and is as close as possible to the original Yamaha color as used originally on the 1984 FJ600 models, 1982 XJ650RJ Seca, the 1983 XJ750 Seca, and the 1984 XJ750RL Seca models only. Each aerosol can contains 12 ounces. Each can:
    $ 39.95

3. Mototimothy8

Mototimothy8 Member

Thanks xj550!! I just want to make sure, is the color code 1u quartz silver? And can I use that at a paint maker?

4. XJ550H

Yamaha Code 1U Quartz Silver paint makers should be able to do it

5. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Chacal has it in stock if you can't get it locally.

Mototimothy8 likes this.
  6. Mayhem351

Mayhem351 New Member

I know this is an old thread, but hoping someone can tell me, Code 33 Competition Yamaha Black, is it a semi gloss/satin or a full gloss?

Edit: The XJ900 frame I have has been patched with something that has a slight metallic in it and the rest is discoloured and or surface rust, so it's pretty hard to tell anything.

7. XJ550H

Generally speaking, NO frames and very few major components were ever painted high-gloss black (regardless of what photo enhancements in magazines or advertising brochures might lead you to believe!). Almost any and every part that was within "eyeball view" of the driver was painted with the Code 98 (LGB) Low Gloss Black finish, such as your handlebar control switches, handlebars and handlebar holders, upper steering brackets, hand levers, mirror stalks, master cylinders, etc.

Code 98 LGB was used on:
    - XJ900 fuel tank forward air scoops on non-North American models (USA and Canadian models had silver-painted forward air scoops).

A slightly glossier (but still not a true high-gloss) black finish, known as Code 33 Competition Yamaha Black is a semi-gloss black finish.

Mayhem351 likes this.
  8. Mayhem351

Mayhem351 New Member

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply. Yamaha have the vin and checked, looks like it was an import here (Australia), but has a full gloss tank etc with the maroon decals, and unpainted (natural black plastic) forward air scoops. Not many of the N's were sold here, not popular compared to the F models, so it's hard to find good examples of it.