1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

PANJDE Etc

Discussion in 'Eastern US and Canada' started by geebake, May 1, 2007.

1. geebake

geebake Member

Hi all,

Been trying to get a group of us together for ages now. Our buddy Cheese came over to my place a few weeks ago and we manged to get his XJ700 running like a champ.

At this point, I have pretty much everything we need to do carbs. Colortune, carb sticks, aux fuel tank, long pry bar (not kidding, we needed it to get Cheese' carbs back in!) I've now done the carbs on all my XJs and would be happy to help out anyone else in the area. I also have a lift and a pretty full set of shop tools. I even have the occasional spare part.

Of course, the best thing would be to get out and do some riding. Anyone want to get together?

I live in So Jersey. 5 minutes from the W. Whitman Bridge. Lots of room to work.

Any takers?

Greg

2. iwingameover

iwingameover Active Member

Once I get my bike on the road I'm up for some riding. Taking a little more time than I expected. Work schedule mostly. I'm down in MD but just a short hop up I-95 will get me there.

3. SamJr

SamJr New Member

Hi Greg, I live In Burlington and I just pick up a 1985 XJ700 with 11,146 mile its been sitting in a garage since 2004 and has not been run. I cleand it up and it look like new the only problem we all most had it running to but it just quit. Can I put carbarator cleaner in the gas tank if we should get it running again. Let me know want you think.

4. SamJr

SamJr New Member

Well I got it running today and is she fast it took a while for the carbs to clean out the old gas but after about 2 mile the engine smothed out and she ran like a new bike. Maybe you can help me being you live right down the road I need to replace some parts where do you find them for a bike thats 22 years old.

5. SamJr

SamJr New Member

Well I got it running today and is she fast it took a while for the carbs to clean out the old gas but after about 2 mile the engine smothed out and she ran like a new bike. Maybe you can help me being you live right down the road I need to replace some parts where do you find them for a bike thats 22 years old.

6. geebake

geebake Member

Hi Sam,

Glad to hear that you got your XJ running. They are surprisingly fast. Considering the displacement and age, many think they're real pigs. Little do they know!

Parts sources depend greatly on what you're looking for. eBay is generally a good source for used parts that aren't made any more.

Your local Yamaha dealer can probably get most of the consumables - filters, carb and caliper rebuild kits etc.

There are also a number of on-line sources for other parts. Check the 'links' section of this site for more info or ask around.

You might also consider posting in the 'For sale\ wanted
    trade' forum. Someone out there might have just what you're looking for.

So now that your XJ is running, how well is it running? If you've gotten into the carbs they probably need synched and there's a possibility that the pilots need adjusting. Let me know if you need to fine tune it. You can certainly bring it over and we can slap the carb sticks on it and use my colortune to get the mixture right.

Greg

7. SamJr

SamJr New Member

Hi Greg, Thanks for getting back to me. I might take you up on comming down and setting up the carbs. The only parts that I want to change is the rear shocks, the others parts I need are still available from Yamaha. So if you come across a set of rear shocks let me know. I look all over the web and no on has them. Talk to soon Sam.

8. acsmedic36

acsmedic36 New Member

i recently purchased 2 xj bikes both 82's, i is a 750 maxim and the other is a 650 maxim. both are great running fast bikes and i would love to find some folks to do some weekend riding with. i am located in south jersey as well, approx 20 minutes from the WWB. i am in the process of restoring the 650 and any tech advice that can be offered is more that welcome. thanks for reading

9. geebake

geebake Member

I love working on and riding with XJs. Drop me a line when you're free.

Greg

10. SamJr

SamJr New Member

Hi Greg, The is Sam I live in Burlington NJ I need to sell my XJ 700 its all original and very clean no rust and she runs great. Its Black with the Maxim Sissy Bar, it only has 11,400 miles. My wife wants it out of the garage because we have two other motorcycles. I need to know if you can find a good home for her in this area. l Also let me know if this site is a good for selling the bike. If you know anyone who wants this type on Motorcycle let me know.

11. geebake

geebake Member

Hey Sam,

Sorry to hear that you have to let your Maxim go. I understand though.

This can be a great site for selling an XJ. It's a bit hit or miss though based on whether or not someone in this area is looking. As the summer is starting to wind down, it is getting a little harder to sell a bike, but you won't know until you try.

One thing about selling a bike here is that the potential buyers are generally pretty knowledgeable. This is a good thing if you're an honest seller, but means that you probably won't be able to pawn a lemon off on a rube.

At the moment, I don't know anyone that's looking for a Maxim. Of course, if the deal's right, you never know. How much are you looking to get?

I've had great luck with Craig's List here in Philadelphia and of course there's always eBay.

Best of luck,

Greg

12. vinnyp

vinnyp New Member

hi greg this is vinnyp. I'm interested in Sam's xj700.
    If there is a way you could have Sam contact me I would appreciate it.
    thank you . Paulmz@verizon.net

13. geebake

geebake Member

Sorry Vinny, I don't know Sam any better than you do. You could try sending him a pm here. That's about all I could suggest.

Greg

14. phillyturbo

phillyturbo Member

HELP anybody have a pair of calipers they would part with. Went to rebuild mine and the bleeder bolts broke off and kant drill them out. :evil: :evil:
    btw its a 82 seca turbo

15. geebake

geebake Member

I have a pair of calipers off an '82 750 Seca. I think they're the same. Not entirely sure though. I could probably be talked out of them.

Greg

16. phillyturbo

phillyturbo Member

ok im talkin lol
    i can do like 40-50 and pickup
    :lol: :lol: let me know

17. SamJr

SamJr New Member

Hi Greg, Will I posted the XJ on this site. I sent Vinne my info to contact me but as of today he has not contact me. Let me know what you think of the bike. I post 4 pictures.

Sam Jr.

18. phillyturbo

phillyturbo Member

Hey im good to go whenever u are, brakes are workin GREAT :D

19. geebake

geebake Member

Great! I got your message but have been so busy I hadn't had a chance to call you back. I'm really glad that you were able to get her back on the road. Imagine what we could do if we had someone who knew how to use the tools!

No we just need to get your carbs synched and colortuned. I'm out of town for the weekend (again :( ) Maybe one night next week or next weekend.

Greg

20. phillyturbo

phillyturbo Member

sounds good let me know when its good for you