1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

partsnmore.com carb kit suitability re: '85 XJ750 Maxim-X

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by coreyinoz, Dec 4, 2006.

1. coreyinoz

coreyinoz Member

Hey guys,

I'm looking at the carb rebuild kits on partsnmore.com. They look very reasonably priced for what you get. Unfortunately, they only call out the American XJ models, so I can't tell if it will work in my bike also, or if it's purposely not listed.

Does anybody know offhand if the carbs that;

"Fits XJ750 (82-83), XJ750M 83, XJ750R 81-83 - Includes Float Bowl Gasket, "O-Rings, Float needle & Seat & Pilot screw Blind plug"

Would also work in a Canadian '85 XJ750 Maxim-X?

Thanks for the help,

Corey

2. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

If I'm not mistaken, the regular Maxim has Hitachi carbs and our MaximX has Mikuni carbs, so I don't think those parts will fit.

I've done a fair bit of searching for carb parts as a result of working on my carbs twice now, and never found a complete carb kit.

I originally ordered some parts from the dealer, and most recently from:
    www.MotorcycleCarbs.com
    (770) 974-8851
    sales@motorcyclecarbs.com
    Ask for Robert - he knows his stuff and was good to work with.

Z

3. bosozoku

bosozoku Member

4. coreyinoz

coreyinoz Member

Re: partsnmore.com carb kit suitability re: '85 XJ750 Maxim-

Thanks for the tips - I contacted the guy at motorcyclecarbs.com to see what he has in stock. I took a look at Sudco's webpage, but notice that they call out not working with Mikuni also.

Before I beat myself up too much, I'm going to check to make sure that I have Mikuni's installed!

Corey

5. BlueMaxim

BlueMaxim Active Member

XJCD lists them as Mikuni's. And like Zilla said, the kits are hard to find.

6. OU812didntU

OU812didntU Member

85 and 86 maxim x`s American and Canadian models have mikuni carbs installed on them

7. coreyinoz

coreyinoz Member

Re: partsnmore.com carb kit suitability re: '85 XJ750 Maxim-

Thanks guys,

Robert got back to me and confirmed that he does not have a kit for the Mikunis, but said he could construct a kit for me. However, he mentioned that it could climb to $70 per carb since some of the kit would need to be Yamaha parts.

That's a lot tougher to swallow than the $12 per kit from partsnmore.com

Stupid rare parts!

Corey

8. OU812didntU

OU812didntU Member

yep things for these bikes get alittle more and more expensive each year that goes by, gets to the point where after a few years the money that you put into them excedes what you payed for it, at least you know what you have in it and its worth keeping.

9. WeAreZilla

WeAreZilla Member

Yes, coreyinoz, that's about right. Depending on which parts you decide to make up your "kit", it can be much more then other carbs.

Also, Yamaha was a bit quirky with omissions in their parts diagrams. For instance, they don't completely break down the petcock for the diaphragm, spring, etc. In the case of your carbs, they omit the mixture needle assembly. Robert at MotorcycleCarbs.com has the part number, but we don't.

If anyone has a solid source specifically for the MaximX Mikuni carbs at good prices it would be welcome news. In my quest I found a solid source, but at prices that were a bit uncomfortable - often I'm just happy to find any source. (But I absolutely refuse to pay $200-300 for a backrest.)

Z

EDIT: No real edit...just checking out my new edit button. :wink: