1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

pipes

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by chalky, Feb 21, 2010.

1. chalky

chalky New Member

dus anyone no where i can get after market pipes for my 550xj ive only deen able to find the motad replacment pipes but im looking for a 4 into 1 slash cut any help would be gratful :D

2. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

The Mac is sold everywhere actually. Old bike Barn, Bike Bandit, ebay, JCwhitney, etc. It's a $335+ exhaust system and there are some pros and cons. But just search online for a few minutes and you'll pull something up.
    In the mean time... you don't want to just pop a 4 into 1 on there and let it be done. Your bike is tuned to a stock system which uses 4 header, a collector (which acts more like an exhaust manifold on a car) and 2 outlets. It is going to require a lot more like rejetting and retuning.
    http://www.bikebandit.com/1982-yamaha-x ... g=7947&t=1
    http://www.oldbikebarn.com/Yamaha-XJ550 ... ust-System

3. chalky

chalky New Member

ok thankyou ill look into the mac and i new that it would need recalibration but thanks for the advice

4. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

On the 550... I am not sure if it will be the same for every 550... fitz, chacal, or one of the other guys would be able to tell you for sure, but my mains went from the 112.5 which is stock to 125 but I am using k&n pods and no airbox. If you are keeping the air intake stock it might be different.
    The Mac has the megaphone muffler and if you like the style of the yamaha originals, the mac really fits the look.

5. chalky

chalky New Member

mine is a hard tale with a spring loaded seat im thinkig sumthink more slash cut? and im going to be pooting k&n pods on im going for the crome pods

6. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

So you want something more mad max movie style? Haha. You know what I'd do? But I am a noob at all of this... but this is what I would do...
    I'd get just the Mac headers. I saw a used set on ebay that fit the xj550 head. The only problem is... it's used and the guy want's $200 for it. I'd try salvage shops first.
    I would attach a straight pipe (baffled as necessary) by way of that flex pipe they use on exhaust systems. I've seen it mainly on semis and pickups but I would use just what fits the header pipe end. I'd wrap it in that black exhaust wrap (the headers and the straight pipe, and leave the flex pipe bare or come up with a heat shield. With the flex pipe I would have more options of positioning the straight pipe plus I just think it looks good. I would use regular exhaust clamps to secure everything.

7. schooter

schooter Active Member

whoops

8. markie

markie Member

I thought they were set lean to pass emissions regulations?

9. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

I am more going by previous posts on here where people ended up with valve problems due to just bolting on the 4 into 1 without carb mods.
    I actually had the pods installed before I did the 4 into 1 but was going to do it the other way around. From what I have read, and seen on here just bolting on the 4 into 1 caused later valve problems. I just went through the forums... and I think Polock had a small word on the issue, but couldn't find it. But from my understanding, the exhaust change is actually bigger than I thought originally. At first i just wanted the 4 into 1 and didn't think about other mods. I am going to find a write-up on this i read a while back about having to keep the fuel/air intake balanced with the exhaust creating proper breathing and backpressure, etc. If I find it I'll post it here right away.

10. schooter

schooter Active Member

wait, you're right!

I had myself backwards, because i remember now that someone said that the dealers would make them richer for you on a side note that it would make your mileage worse.... whoops.

but I know that snowmobiles are tuned rich....

11. chalky

chalky New Member

ive allready got pods but i am changing them for k&n one that are much better and tuning the cads is no problem i just need to figer out a nice pip that is yes mad max stile lol

12. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Alright, let's clear things up a bit:

The bikes that came with the "collector box" (the 550s, the 650 Seca and some ? 750s) can generally stand a MUFFLER SWAP without the need to re-jet (or quite often anything at all.)

If you fit a 4-1 to one of the bikes that originally came with a collector box, eliminating said box, you will most likely need to re-jet or at the very least do some re-tuning. It depends on the aftermarket exhaust.

And, although it always causes a bunch more discussion, ANY CV-carb equipped bike will need to be rejetted if you ditch the stock airbox and install pods.

And yes, the XJs were tuned "lean" from the factory, for both emissions and fuel economy.

13. chuckles_no

chuckles_no Member

you know who you might get some good advice from? Kevineleven. Here is his youtube stuff... I found out it is the same bike... just two different rebuilds.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/www7071com# ... 23pNFxGWkE
    If you still want to go with just a 4 into 1... I'll bet he can give you a great mad max idea.

14. britpod

britpod New Member

This may be a bit OT, but my 4-1 is on it's last legs, the downpipes aren't bad but ones broken away from the silencer so I'm wondering what to do here. As it's a chop, I would quite like to just have the downpipes slashed at the silencer so it's just the 4 downpipes, what sort of thing would I need to do to make that work?

15. Bushy

Bushy Active Member

Earmuffs.

16. parts

parts Member

+ for fitz.
    A collector allows both a sudden expantion and cooling of gases as
    they leave the header. This profides a negitive wave to return into the
    exaust port during the slight valve overlap period. The low pressure helps to remove remaining gases in the chamber.
    All this (if tuned prop) jump starts fresh mixture just as intake stroke
    starts to take place providing extra torque.
    Loose the that neg wave and adjustments may need to take place.
    I pulled the stock mega phones off for "screamin eagles" without the need to re-jet.