1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

please help

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by slobzer, Apr 14, 2011.

1. slobzer

slobzer New Member

hey guys i have a problem,

a couple weeks ago i took my xj650 up to the gas station but before i pulled in it started to idle really low. so i pushed the choke but it did nothing, as i pulled up to the pump it just died. i filled up anyway and tryed to start it but it didnt start. i pulled it out of the way and inspected. at first i thought the problem was an old cracked vacuum hose so i cut the end off and refitted it. the bike still didnt start,

so i opened up the air box and found oil. i let the filter dry out and then put it back in and it started (barely). it wanted to stall all the way home and right when i got into the drive way something let loose and i was dripping gas pretty rapidly out of the drain hose.

it dosnt start now and ive realized that it just starts leaking gas through the drain hose when cold starts on full.

what should i do??

2. ManBot13

ManBot13 Well-Known Member

Your carb float needles are sticking open or the float height isn't right (more than likely the former). Gas fills the bowls and crankcase with gasoline, and gas will run back into the airbox.

You will need to clean your carbs and change your oil. You may also need to replace those float needles and seats while you're in there.

Do you have an inline fuel filter installed?

3. tskaz

tskaz Active Member

And ruins a motor quickly, do not start it again until doing what ManBot said.

Fix the carb problem first, then change the oil.
    When you change the oil, change the filter, but buy two because you are going to want to change oil and filter again after running the bike for a few minutes to make sure you got all the gas out of the crankcase.

You also need to pick up new plugs, gas soaked plugs are junk, and more than likely will not have enough spark ever again.

4. Robert

Robert Active Member

I did darn near the same thing after an oil change many years back, time to clean/rebuild the carbs. You have a sticking float or two in there as ManBot pointed out. Change the oil and filter while you are at it. Sing out if you need help. There are a few of us around the L.A. area that have a clue and might be able to help.