1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Plug, Patch, Or a New Tire?

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by i_am_the_koi, Mar 2, 2011.

?

How should I fix my tire?

1. Plug?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Plug and Patch?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. New Tire?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Ride til it blows!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. i_am_the_koi

i_am_the_koi Member

So, I've had my tire's mounted for exactly 6 days....

and I walk out this morning to find my rear tire flat...

I leave for work, disgusted. Come home and fill er up. After a quick moment searching I find the leak. Small pinhole between the tread. No screw, no nail, no rock. just the hole. Must be a damn small leak too. If I give it pressure I can make it leak faster, but as it is, it's barely leaking if at all, though obviously it's leaking some as my tire was flat.....

So now I ask for the debate...

If it was a car tire, I'd have to problem throwing a plug, with a patch on top on the tire and seeing if that worked before I bought a new one...

Being that these tires are again, 6 days old, I'm really leaning that way again, but as I am new to the world of 2 wheels, I'm asking for opinions....

Should I just bite the bullet and buy another tire? Should I attempt the plug/patch? Or should I try the slime though I've never had that work on a bmx tire. Ride it til it gets worse?????

Thoughts?

2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

I don't know but for me, it being a brand new tire, I'd call the place I bought it from and have a little chat. I know a lot of people aren't as direct as I tend to be but it's amazing what companies will do for you if you approach it with a good attitude and ask for help.

All those options gone, I'd probably replace the tire. The penalty on a bike is just too high. In a car, no real problem for a tubeless since they rarely blowout and usually lose air slowly. On a bike however, well, you know the deal....I'm not betting my life or that of a friend or loved one on a sub200 dollar tire.

I realize that when I was young and very, very broke, we used to race on other team's practice tires....we couldn't afford new slicks most of the time....we were lucky, really lucky but I'm sure others are in the same boat.

jeff

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would definitely be running all up the spine of the guy that sold me the tire; if there's no puncture then he's gotta make good, period.

You can run a thing called a "tech patch" which is a plug with a patch attached to it and probably be just fine. BUT

Tubeless tire...

Motorcycle... (fast, powerful motorcycle)

I'd replace it too.

4. i_am_the_koi

i_am_the_koi Member

I called the place I got the tire from, jakewilson dot com, got a serious amount of run around from the first lady I talked to.... road damage is not covered, as it was mounted for 6 days and was ridden for 4 of those days, the tire must be a puncture. If I'd like I can send them the tire to do a manufacturer inspection at my expense, of which if it's found to be a puncture and not a defect, I can pay to have it mailed back, blah blah fricken blah!

Not happy right now...
    Both Santa's Leg's are broken.... Santa's Very Sad!!!!!!!!

5. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

I think it is time for you to get angry!

6. mlew

mlew Well-Known Member

Defective tire? I'd take it back and see if the dealer will work with you on replacing it. A patch is a good temporary fix, for a short time. With the heat and flexing on a motorcycle tire A patch won't last long.

7. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Angry?

If the tire has a puncture it's not the manufacturers or the retailers responsibility.

Chalk it up to bad luck and move on.

8. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

The chances of it begin defective are slim to none so there's not likely to be any comeback on the retailer

If it's in the tread area especially near the centre a repair is easy and if done properly should be a permanent fix

The repair needs to be done with something like a minicombi http://www.rematiptop.com/parts.php?sid=5

9. Altus

Altus Active Member

Plug it, patch it, and throw a tube in it for good measure if that makes you feel better. Keep riding - no reason to waste the rubber.

I did exactly that on my last 2 front tires -- never had an inkling of a problem right up till the tire tread was worn out.

10. amfmtxca

amfmtxca Member

I would only patch or plug IF I were to put a tube in it. I am a truck driver and will not drive a truck with a patched front tire I don't want to be a big greasey spot on the road. I think if you only patch or plug either tire you are increasing or chances of being one of those big greasey spots. Why chance it, a tube is a cheap ounce of prevention.

11. TIMEtoRIDE

TIMEtoRIDE Active Member

I had a nail last August in the FJR rear tire, within an inch of the centerline. The nail stayed in at 120 MPH ! :eek: I called around to get it patched (heat vulcanized) but no luck. So I plugged it with a Monkey-Grip black plug. It leaked a very little bit; I double checked the air every ride. Then I added 5 OZ of Green Slime, stopping any leak. It's been 3,000 miles and now I'm tire shopping before it gets hot here.

12. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

If you have someone else change it let them know the slime is in there.

13. Ravenz07

Ravenz07 Member

Ya, your not supposed to use slime in motorcycle tires anymore. It is not safe apparently. I assume it throws the balance off.

I had to do it in an emergency situation. It is pretty awesome for bikes since you just throw it on the center stand, put it in first gear and let it spin. I had to pay extra through when I had new tires installed.

14. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

slime turns to water and makes shit all sticky. the person that invited that crap outta be shot. NEVER USE SLIME. it's a total waste of money. yoiu'll still have to fixe a flat in 2 days. but now you've got a mess.

me personally. like some of the others. HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH A PLUG. and i too have worn my tires down to nothing.

a plug kit costs $8 and gives you 5 flats. not once have i ever taken my tires to be fixed.

car OR bike.

but if it's a tube. then that defentily goes in to shop for a patch.

PLUGS WORK. more then people give them credit for. and i've yet to hear of any accidents related to plug or patch.

15. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

You must have total muppets doing your tyre repairs then, done properly in a tubeless tyre they are a permanent repair that will easily last the life of the tyre

In the case of a front tyre with a tube I would always replace it rather than repair

Some of those aerosol repairs are also corrosive

I have, in fact they were banned as a repair due to a fatality involving a repair done with one

Externally fitted plugs shouldn't be used as anything more than a bandaid get you home type of thing, with out removing and inspecting the tyre internally you have no idea if it has suffered any damage

16. fazerkid78

fazerkid78 New Member

I only use plugs as a way to make it home or to the shop. I don't think they are safe for speeds above 70 either.

17. snowwy66

snowwy66 Member

in a previous life. i worked in repair shops. never seen a internally damaged tire from a puncture wound.

plugs are nothing but rubber that blend in with rubber. they actually work quite well. the glue acts as reinforcement for a more secure seal and sticky.

patches work basically the same way. they seal the hole just like a plug.
    patches also use the EXACT same type of glue that plugs use.
    a patch requires glue where as sometimes plugs don't.

if the glue doesn't hold. patches can and do fall off.
    i've seen patches fall off. i've never seen a plug fall out.

if a tire cracks becuase of a plug or patch. the tire itself is old and shouldn't be used anymore.

rubber don't last forever. i'll replace a 10 year old tire. it's probably full of cracks anyways. but i'll be plugging a brand new tire.

there was a story on the local news channel a couple years back about used tires. and there point was any tire that is older then 5 years shouldn't be used. they even explained how to tell the date of when the tire was manufactured.

18. waldo

waldo Member

You left out tube in your survey

19. i_am_the_koi

i_am_the_koi Member

true, but I had never thought about tubing it as an option.....

20. waldo

waldo Member

Why not tubes have been around longer than tubeless tires