1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Pod Filters?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Scizor, Nov 14, 2010.

1. 16ozbud

16ozbud Member

It's like herpes. It's here to stay...

2. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Yeh... i think i'll go ride my pod equipped xj, with its stellar performance...

3. HirsuitHeathen

HirsuitHeathen Member

"So you're telling me there's a chance? YEAH!"

- Lloyd Christmas

4. HESH

HESH Member

52 mm is the right size.

5. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Yeh, the hardest part is ignoring the people who cant get them to work.

6. DoubleTigerLefty

DoubleTigerLefty Member

For any and all looking to make pods happen, I managed it first try. Can't remember what I specifically did, but have faith, it can be done! My bike screamed and ran great.

7. hogfiddles

hogfiddles XJ-Wizard, Host-Central NY Carb Clinic Moderator Premium Member

See?

k-moe likes this.
  8. DoubleTigerLefty

DoubleTigerLefty Member

My bike screamed to high hell with my 4-1, remember her fondly. Now, everyone keep your fingers crossed for my next attempt; a 2 - cyl xs400j maxim.
    I actually have to put pods on because I've got a shock from an xl650r that is going on, for a change in ride height. I'm building a tracker out of this, and because the shock is so fat, the airbox won't fit, and has got to go.

This will be fun to figure out, because the jets on either carb are different to begin with, so I'll have to find a mid point AND adjust for carbs. I think I'll be contacting Greg Hageman to see what jets he ended up with on his xs. He said that "Getting the jetting set up wasn’t even that tough, but finding a starting point took a little experimentation"

Post on his bike (and similar to what I'm going for, but with a longer seat to allow for girlfriends) is here: http://www.pipeburn.com/yamaha-xs400-tracker/

9. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

got lucky.

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

did anyone ever make a stock bike with pods ? wonder why?
    do motoGP bikes use pods? wonder why?

11. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

if you dont have the numbers for jets it is of no help.

did you ride the bike with the air box for a base line?

so many claim sucess but it is rare they can tell you the numbers and carb mods they did.
    of course your riding style is a factor on how well they work.

12. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

I also wonder how many bikes they have ridden for a base line. If you jump on a POD bike and you have nothing to compare it to, sure it will "run like hell".

XJ550H likes this.
  13. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

I had a podded 750 gave it a try to dial the first summer. wasted no time putting the airbox back in when it arrived.
    if your a flatand rider bike will be an ok ride but when hills are involved and you need the extra throttle to avoid cars power just was not there.

14. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

I have ridden my XJ750 maxim in 100% stock form few times prior to modifying it and going with pods. Drivability and smoothness stayed the same, starts every time, idles great after quick warm up, acceleration is smooth and without hiccups or deeps throughout entire RPM range. Uni 82mm pods, 43/134-136 jets, adjusted mixture screws, synced carbs. Also important mentioning that I live at sea level and highest elevation I ever ridden bike at was only 2000 ft. Power gain/loss I can’t comment on since after modifications I lost 105 lbs off of the bike so it’s a lot lighter over stock and not a fair comparison.

I was scared going with pods after reading all the horror stories online, but personally haven’t experienced any of it.

15. Minimutly

Minimutly Well-Known Member

I fitted a set of Xj/fj600 mikunis to my 650 maxim, with cheap chinese pods. As a test, straight on, no modifications to jetting. It idled, started, warmed up great, ran fine on the road, no flat spots or issues. Are the spot on? I don't know, they feel it, but to be sure I will be testing with a wideband lambda.
    I was so impressed I remachined the manifold ends to match the 650 manifolds, so they are staying.
    I get the "pods aren't for everyone" thing, and getting them to work could cause a world of pain, and ultimately with an otherwise standard spec machine you are likely to lose torque somewhere, but equally I don't agree with the theory that they can't work without causing a missfire, melted pistons etc.

16. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

I do not recall anyone here making such a claim. The argument against pods is the ridability issues that come up, including a midrang bog that some people may be willing to ignore (among other things such as fuel mileage, etc.)

17. PavelK313

PavelK313 Active Member

but my particular bike doesn’t have any bogging and no I am not ignoring it, it just doesn’t exist in my case.

18. Mobius Williams

Mobius Williams Member

20200604_135252.jpg Have mine podded. Like it mainly for the fact that it opened up the middle of my Seca. More room to move things around. Wasn't a fan of the battery placement or the look of the side covers. Once I got the Mix right everything seems to run very smoothly. Couldn't really say I know of any performance increase because I basically did it right away when I got the bike. At that time it needed a lot of work and didn't run well anyway. Now that everything is up to par though they seem fine. Riding in the rain seems to be the only real negative I have with pods honestly.

19. Timbox

Timbox Well-Known Member

^+1
    I do feel that most of the POD setups is for looks. I agree the bikes look great that way. I love the open "look" the area behind the carbs gives when the air box is removed. I would just keep it as a show bike, not a daily rider. It is just my opinion.

Mobius Williams likes this.
  20. Mobius Williams

Mobius Williams Member

I should probably add that I am an everyday rider unless the plows are out and I've run it with pods for 3 years now.

DoubleTigerLefty and Timbox like this.