1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

poll

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by 86xj700_indy, May 11, 2009.

1. 86xj700_indy

86xj700_indy Member

who on here is like me and has more money in there bike than we3 obviously know it is worth. i am starting this to prove my wife wrong. she says i am the only one that would put more into a piece of junk than its worth.

2. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

Does your wife work on and appreciate her vehicle? My GF has a Diesel truck we modify and play with all the time. Its a 94 and it was BEAT UP when we got it.
    So yes, when its your baby, your hobby, and your favorite vehicle, its definatly worth it to stand back and be like,
    "~Sigh~ I love this thing"
    -Chris

3. JoshL

JoshL New Member

I don't yet, but I will soon. Fortunately for me my wife supports my xj habit as long as the bills get paid and there's food on the table.

4. 86xj700_indy

86xj700_indy Member

see she drives a stock Mercury Sable. she has the most boring taste in vehicles and she will not let me do anything to it unless it is not running right

5. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

That would INFURIATE me. My GF supports it cause she drives it with me :D So cool. But yeah, pretty much. Bills paid, food on the table, do what you want is our philosiphy too

6. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Look in my sig. How many bikes do you see?

How many are BRITISH? (money pit #1)

Why is my '83 Seca named Toxic Asset? Because I'm way "upside down" on it is why. I could never in a million YEARS hope to sell that particular bike for what I have in it and you know what? I DON'T PLAN TO SELL IT (ever) so I really don't care. It's still a damn sight cheaper than a new bike would have been, is more comfortable, more my style, AND: Now that I'm nearly finished with it, it IS a new bike... for half price.

With four ex-wives I can categorically state that marriage is over-rated.

IMHO.

7. alkasmeltzer

alkasmeltzer Member

Don't got a wife!!!! :mrgreen: There fore, I have a 1971 Buick GSX with almost $10K wrapped up in the motor. More going into it since the fire, but no boss to answer to!!!

As for the Maxim, I have around $1500 into it, but I got it in great shape. The Buicks, all 3, are a different story. The GSX I may get my money back out but, I am not holding my breath. The 73 Century, no way in Hades am I ever gonna get any return on that. $18K in engine work alone and I ain't done yet.

So, no, you are not alone. More $$ in, less $$ out. My own personal stock market!! :roll:

8. PaintIt(Flat)Black

PaintIt(Flat)Black Member

I want to see some pictures of the GSX alkasmeltzer. I am a huge buick fan. I have an 87 Grand National, But I've always wanted a GSX, especially the yellow ones with red and black stripes. So besides the century and the GSXm whats the third one?

9. bluepotpie

bluepotpie Member

haha, i've poured WAY more that she's worth into her... check the links in my sig...

10. alkasmeltzer

alkasmeltzer Member

There are pics of it after the fire last month in my gallery. The 3d is the next project. It is an 84 Electra Park Avenue. Last of the rear wheel drive Park Ave's. It's gonna get a mild 455 build. Nice little sleeper project. I figure around 500 hp oughta do it!!

There is a thread on here about garage pics. There are some in progress pics of the car I posted there. Not much to see, but it was in decent shape before the fire. It will live again!!

11. SQLGuy

SQLGuy Well-Known Member

Well, clearly the fuel injection parts and the paint job by themselves add up to more than an '82 SECA 750 books for, but then I now have a fuel injected 750 with a nice new paint job, so what's it really worth now?

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Paul

12. ethanch

ethanch Member

I got 82 750 Seca for 400.00 at the end of Jan. Pulled the engine with 27K on it and put all the parts and engine on that I have been hauling around with me from my first Seca that got wrecked back in 82 (only 1211 miles)
    So I tore the new one down to nothing and rebuilt it. thanks to Len for the parts I didn't have. I have put about 800.00 - 1000.00 in it for tires bearings, seals, etc. and all the parts I refused to get rid of for all these years. what does storage cost? 2 different wives have had to trip over and help me move the engine from house to house. my bike is up and running, and I don't care if I ever sell it. I'm invested in this one, for the last 27 years. and now that the Seca is done I'm building a sreet fighter.

13. Robert

Robert Active Member

Well... let's see here. I've had three of these bikes for over a decade and have poured more money into them than they will ever be worth so I guess I can say that I love them more than the money. Mommy said if I ever sell all of them, I can have the bike of my choice bar none (this includes the bikes that cost the price of my house). Nothing doing... I'm sticking with my beloved machines out of a sense of gratitude for all of the wonderful experiences I've had on them. Wouldn't part with my Maxim for love nor money (down one wife, keeping the second. Marriage is a wonderful thing when you find the right one). She doesn't share my passion for the bike but she understands it's value to me bless her.

14. TheHound

TheHound Active Member

I'm into it for the book value at this point.
    There are always more things to do, a little each year and enjoy the ride.

15. wizard

wizard Active Member

That's got to be one of the strangest yarns I have ever heard. :?

16. mikeg

mikeg Member

I may have more than it's worth into it, if not yet then soon enough. But a lot of what I've put into it is maintenance. Things you'd need to replace over time anyway. It's just that I'm making up for all the PO's that owned the bike before me. I have added a little customization to it to make it more my own and will continue to do so but it doesn't seem fair to count things like tires, cables, fluids, gaskets, bearings etc.

Just my 2 cents.

mikeg

17. iadubber

iadubber Member

I have more in my paint than I paid for my bike :( With all new bearings and a bunch of other stuff this winter I have joined your club.

18. MN-Maxims

MN-Maxims St. Paul Minnesota

These bikes can be money pits. But if you love to ride them what difference does it make. There is not anything new that comes close to the nice smooth inline 4 and classic look. You can either get a cafe racer or a Harley knock off with the big v-twin engine. I was looking at bikes last weekend and I didn't see anything I would buy. Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki bikes were all on the show floor and I couldn't see myself on anyone of them.

19. 86xj700_indy

86xj700_indy Member

im with you there my wife took me to the Harley dealer and i asked what are we doing and she replyed looking to replace that piece of junk in the garage. so i let her look and i went and set in the truck and waited for to come out BECAUSE I WILL NOT CONFORM. i like my bike and dont want a new one!!!!!

20. ethanch

ethanch Member

That's got to be one of the strangest yarns I have ever heard. :?[/quote]

Sorry Wizard, I got parts back from paint Sunday night (a week early) and stayed up all night putting the Seca back together. The point I guess I was trying to make was I have been waiting a long time to resurrect a bike I loved and worked hard for back in 82. The money and hours I’ve gone through these last 3.5 months have been worth it. (note to self, DON’T post to forums with little or no sleep) 8O