1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

POR 15 - Gas Tank

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by barehandspank, Apr 17, 2009.

1. barehandspank

barehandspank Member

From what I've been reading, this POR15 stuff sounds pretty good. I've got a tank thats seeping a little in the corner, and could use something to clean up the rust inside anyhow. My question is this: to those who have used this stuff - any tips? and do I need to buy the full kit (the prep stuff) or has anyone had luck just using the POR15 by itself? Thanks.

2. stereomind

stereomind Active Member

Get the full kit. It comes with a foam brush and a piece of cloth that you can cut into strips and patch the leaky spots, kinda like fiberglass patch... Tiny pinhole leaks will seal without the patch.

3. tumbleweed_biff

tumbleweed_biff Active Member

You'll want the kit. First step is to get rid of the varnish or the paint won't stick. Second step is to prep the metal for the POR ... getting rid of rust, etc. Third is the POR 15 tank sealant which will stop pinpoint leaks and seal cracks. If you don't do the first two steps, then your POR15 will not hold properly.

4. wizard

wizard Active Member

You can't rush the process, it takes a week. Be sure to dry the tank between stages, I used madam's hairdrier, it's the only way to be sure it's dry right into the tight spots. When done properly, the results will amaze you.

5. TriHard

TriHard New Member

Right on Wizard.
    Follow the instructions to the letter. And the hairdryer works, probably best doing that when the better half isn't home! Take all the time required, don't rush it. I did mine some time ago and the tank is perfectly sealed.