1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Post rain ride bike wetiquette

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by MotoMark, Jul 29, 2007.

1. MotoMark

MotoMark Member

So there wasn't a speck of green on the weather radar this morning but Mother Nature decided to end our near drought conditions with a really nice downpour with me about 20 miles from home.
    I got the bike into the lockup and wiped down everything that wasn't hot. Is there anything else I should tend to or is that pretty much it?
    Boots, gloves, helmet are all in front of the fan. Soaked to the core!
    -Mark

2. Rettic

Rettic Member

shuold prob invest in rain gear.... I just wipe down everything that is not hot also. I pull the seat off and make sure everything is dry under there.
    I have rode in the rain 4 times since I got my Maxim 3 months ago. And 3 of those times I had an electrical problem and #1 cylinder wouldn't fire. Fixed all the electrical by replacing the fuse panel and replaced the plug cap and it fixed the problems. So yeah just check your electrical stuff.

3. Robert

Robert Active Member

Shoot all the joints (brake/clutch lever, rear brake lever pivot, etc) with WD-40 just to make sure the water has left.

4. KBSimNL

KBSimNL New Member

Did most of my riding in the rain last summer with zero issues, even with the stock fuse block. Maybe I'm big enough to protect the bike! B)

5. MotoMark

MotoMark Member

This forum is always good for a chuckle! :D
    Thanks for those follow ups, esp about under the seat and lubing the cables.

6. Artjim

Artjim Member

I've learned not to ride mine in the rain unless I want it to run really bad for a day or so. From what I've read in different posts it may be my coil causing me problems.

7. chevybythesea

chevybythesea Member

I too have ridden in the rain a lot (hard not to, here in Washington State). Too much liquid sunshine to not ride in it!

Never had a problem, though.