1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Potentially stupid carb question.

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by gingersnap, Jul 9, 2012.

1. gingersnap

gingersnap New Member

So I have an interesting, possibly newbish question. I tore down my carbs for cleaning and all that last week to discover a jb-welded (at least i think that's what it is) float post on #1 :roll: Considering it's only a matter of time before it fails and leaves me stranded, I picked up a new carb body, supposedly off an airhead XJ700. However! It has one of those strange brass vent fittings on it that I've seen mentioned in a few posts (see picture). Am I going to have an issue with that? Did anybody ever figure out its function?

Thanks guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mook1al

mook1al Member

Well, your original carb has that blocked off. And other than that they look quite similar. I say verify the jetting in the carbs are the same, plug that fitting with a vacuum cap and clamp, and give it a shot.

3. gingersnap

gingersnap New Member

Thanks for the reply. They are identical otherwise so I'll give that a try and see where it gets me.