1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Powder coating safety

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by tmberman, Jun 6, 2022.

1. tmberman

tmberman New Member

Hey y'all, my '82 XJ1100 Maxim currently looks like it's been used and put away wet way too many times. Mechanically it is very good so my plan is to refinish it entirely over the next year while riding it during warm weather.

Anyhow, I'm wanting to powder coat all of the engine covers but want to make sure that they will be able to handle the 400F for the 1/2 hour in the oven. I think they are aluminum but my brother thinks they mighty be pot metal, which may be questionable for this type of finish.

Any input is much appreciated.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

They are aluminum. The trick won't be the heat. It'll be getting all of the oil out. Be absolutely sure that you fill all of the holes and tape the mounting surfaces well, or you'll be spending hours removing excess powdercoat so everything will fit back together.

Honestly, a good enamel will hold up better, and be easier to repair if it gets chipped.

tmberman likes this.
  3. jayrodoh

jayrodoh YimYam Premium Member

This is no joke, the first frame I had powder coated they did not plug all the threaded holes. Spent hours on that!!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    tmberman and k-moe like this.
  4. tmberman

tmberman New Member

Good words. Maybe I'll prebake it then degrease it again to eliminate any possibly soaked-in oil.

Yes, I learned that lesson a few years ago when I powdercoated my first set of accessory mounting brackets for a car. That was less than fun. I also learned to go overkill on the high-heat tape.

k-moe likes this.