1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Problems starting 82 Maxim XJ550J

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by isaac728, Jul 26, 2019.

1. isaac728

isaac728 New Member

Recently I bought an 82 Maxim XJ550J, did a carb job and it was running fine until recently I went to start it and nothing happened. When I turn the killswitch from off to run the solenoid clicks but nothing happens when I push start. Any help would be appreciated.

2. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

Try to jump it with a car battery and see if it starts. If so, you probably red a battery.

3. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

The click you her when turning the ignition on is from the ignition cutoff relay (and that's a good thing).

4. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

do you hear the sidestand relay click too?
    if not remove the relay and see if it turns over

another thing to check is the connector for the right control it is near the right ignition coil tight and clean

k-moe likes this.
  5. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Neutral switch should be grounded and the side stand switch should be open(or unplugged). Could be solenoid, low battery or one of those safeties.

6. isaac728

isaac728 New Member

Update: all the relays were clicking and I removed the clutch and sidestand safety switches and tried starting, it didn’t. The only way I could get it started was to bump start it or jump the solenoid. I bought a new solenoid and it still doesn’t start. The battery is charged up just fine

7. Ryengoth

Ryengoth Active Member

Is the neutral light on?

8. isaac728

isaac728 New Member

Yes

9. Rooster53

Rooster53 Well-Known Member Premium Member

This is likely a terminology issue, but the starter solenoid should not click (it's really more of a clunck) when the kill switch is set to run. The starter solenoid when engaged supplies high current power to the starter just like when jumping across the two large nuts on the solenoid. If in neutral the side stand and starter cutoff relays should click when the kill switch is set to run, they make a very faint noise and it might be difficult to audibly differentiate as to which one is clicking or both.

In order for the engine to turn over when the starter button is depressed you need a working starter safety circuit, start switch, starter, solenoid, and associated wiring. The side stand switch, side stand relay, and associated wiring has nothing to do with the starter safety circuit when in neutral, but is needed for the bike to run as it will disable the TCI if not functioning.

One of the easiest questions to ask is if the oil light is illuminating when the starter button is depressed? If the starter switch is not working or is not properly grounded then the oil light will not illuminate and the starter will not engage. Common issues related to the starter switch is either a bad switch or improperly grounded right control / handlebars.

A functioning system works as follows:

Starter safety circuit = In neutral OR in gear with side stand up AND clutch pulled in
    Ignition cutoff = In neutral OR in gear with side stand up

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  10. tabaka45

tabaka45 Well-Known Member

You may also be losing voltage through the wiring system so that the starter is not getting enough voltage to turn the engine. (It is a very common problem with heavy equipment, and is solved by installing a starter relay that delivers voltage directly from the battery to the starter. Probably not practical on a motorcycle.). I would eliminate the battery by trying to jump it with a car battery, and then clean the starter switch and all wiring connectors, relays, switches, etc.

11. McTavish

McTavish Active Member

Also, check your fuse's.

12. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

if you removed the sidestand switch you need to remove the sidestand relay it is under seat marked with blue.

with clutch safety switch removed bike will only start in neutral this connector in bucket can be jumpered.

when you press starter button does the oil light come on? if not starter switch needs to be cleaned or replaced, or your oil light bulb is burnt out.
    that relay would be called a solenoid;) on a motorcycle