1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Product Evaluation: Gord's Aluminum and Chrome Polish

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by ddibling, Aug 9, 2008.

1. ddibling

ddibling Member

I was looking for aluminum polish and came across this stuff on the net; thought I'd share my results. Overall I thought it did a great job. I saw very good results from very little effort. It didn't bring my aluminum back to "like new" but the bike's been sitting (mostly) outside for 27 years now! Supposedly, continued use of the product will continue to remove the grunge.

Headlight bezel before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Here's the bezel next to the bucket (unpolished, obviously)
    [​IMG]

Part of the engine case before
    [​IMG]

After (notice my reflection)
    [​IMG]

I did some other chrome that I didn't take pictures of and it came out great. It even removed most of the surface rust. It's also supposed to leave some sort of protective coating on the metal to help prevent further grungification.

Dean

2. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Chrome cleaned up nice.

Happened by Harbor Freight this past week and picked up a Buffing Kit for $3.99. Worked some magic on the aluminum side covers for the 650G.

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Those two sticks of Polish that come with the Harbor Freight Buffing Kit are "Jewelers Rouge" Sticks.
    The White and Brown are "Cleaning" Compound.

After applying a good buffing to an aluminum surface with the Brown and White Sticks ... CONTINUE the process!

Get some Jewelers Rouge Number-5 and Number-6.

Buffing with 5 & 6 will bring the Polished surface to a finish that rivals chrome.
    Mirror Finishes!
    Cruise my Gallery and look at some of the Parts I polished with 5 & 6.

The same results await you for using Jewelers Rouge finishing compounds after using the cleaning and set-up compounds.

4. rpgoerlich

rpgoerlich Member

Where'd you find the #5 & 6 Jewelers Rouge Rick?
    What grit/number do you think the Red Rouge is that I got in that kit from Harbor Freight ?

5. schmuckaholic

schmuckaholic Well-Known Member

Here are the descriptions from the Sears Buffing compound set:

------------

For a smooth, polished finish. For use with your Bench Grinder buffing wheel.

Emery Cake (black); for heavy cutting action for rust and scale removal from cast iron, steel.

White Rouge; for stainless steel, cast brass, and aluminum, chrome, and nickel-plated metals and other hard ferrous metals.

Red Rouge; for bright luster on silver plate, gold, sterling, and other precious metals.

Tripoli (brown); for buffing aluminum, pewter, brass, copper, wood, bone, plastics, and painted surfaces.

------------

I also picked up a Blue stick; the package says it's for "final high-luster color buffing".

6. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member