1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Project> "Looky What I Found"

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Cheesy, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Anyway's, after putting an a few ads out..."Looking For Winter Project". A friend posted up that his buddy had a 1983 Maxim 650. Now generally, sportbikes are more my style (stretched Busa's&Race Replicas), but I replied asking how much. He then replied with I'll ask my buddy. Later that evening he got back to me, saying.... Free...come grab it. Well.... Can't pass this deal up, so I went and picked it up. So here I am... Seeking advice, and knowledge from all of you as I build this bike back up. It was in boxes, with the frame customized when I got it. The previous owner had done a very nice job up to the point that I aquired it. I'm going to start the build this evening, as I have alot of spare time on my hands. Bare with my progress, as I currently have a couple pins in my foot, and it tends to hamper my mobility. Anyway's...Look forward to chatting it up, gaining knowledge, and sharing when ever I can. I'll start up a page in the proper section on progress of my build. Take Care...and Talk Soon !

Cheesy!

This is the bike as I picked it up.........
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Here are a few original pics......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Well...Got the motor in last night, and the drive shaft hooked up. Other than that, I just organized, and sorted all the parts....

[​IMG]

4. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Well...Got a little bit done today. Was my little guy's 5th birthday, so spent most of the day playing. I did however manage to get the coils on, ignition installed, wiring harness kinda in place (I think,lol), as well as marking the fender out where I think I want to cut it. Going to ponder over it for a day or two, before I go hacking it up. As I sat back and looked at the bike, and checking it's lines, I noticed the gauges, and didn't like how they stuck up/out, like a soar thumb......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So, I simply took them off, and mounted them on the underside of the mounting bracket.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just a simple mod., but I think it gives it a much cleaner appearance being tucked in and down like this. I may bend the bracket a little to bring the gauges in a little closer yet as well.

Anyway....Hope to make some more progress tonight after Birthday Cake....Mmmmmmmm....

5. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Got a little bit more done tonight. Nothing worth snapping pictures over, but I did manage to get the wiring harness figured out, and a few other small items bolted on. Think I'll continue with the electrical, and cables for tomorrow, and see where I get. Might have to stop at the local bike shop, and rumage through some used parts as well. See if I come up with any idea's. :D

Take Care, Cheesy!

6. ZaGhost

ZaGhost Member

1) Love the price :)
    2) Engine looks great!!
    3) Digging the drag bars too.....

Man, wish I could find a deal like that .... though I saw an XJ 650 locally for $300, wouldn't start... However..no free cash this time of year :(

Keep us posted with this one... looks great so far

7. IkeO

IkeO Member

it doesnt make sense to me why that engine is so clean. you gonna go for a cafe style? looks like your frame is already headed in that direction. that or a bobber style. what direction you thinking about taking her?

8. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Doesn't make sense to me either, but what does make sense, is that I like it....and never had to scrub a thing 8)

Got a little bit more done tonight. Basically just painted a few small parts. Installed the tank, so that I could get a better feel of how I was going to tackle the whole seat situation. Originally, I had planned on trying my luck with constructing a fiberglass pan. I placed the seat that was supplied with the bike (the original seat, chopped down), just to see what I thought. At first I thought no way! But then got looking at it a little closer, and think I can make it work 8)

First off, I felt he cut to much off nearest the tank, as you could clearly see the tank mounting bolt, which isn't to visually pleasing. I thought of extending the tank, but quickly changed my mind, as this is suppose to be a low budget build. I haven't put a cent into it yet, so why start now 8)

So, what I did, was just notch out the front seat mount, and made it 1/2" deeper, so that it would slide up closer to the tank. It worked well enough that I think I'll be happy with it anyway's. I have a pretty good vision of what I want now anyway's. As you can see in the pictures, the sides still need to be trimmed up, and I believe I'll be taking some more off the back as well. I think it looks like it sits up a little high. I don't mind it sitting up some though, as that gives me a perfect place to stick a cats eye tail light (I think)... anywayhere are a few pics. of the mock up, and hopefully I'll have the seat completed tomorrow...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She's finally starting to look like something......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

To answer your question IkeO.....I believe she's starting to shape into a Bobber. I believe the tail section was modded in a way, that a cafe racer wasn't an option. That is one of my future projects though. I know where there are three Bultaco's sitting in a barn. One happens to be a Metrella 8)

9. Gbambeck1

Gbambeck1 Member

Diggin it man! I love the bobber rear end on these bikes! If the wife didnt like riding the Maxim so much I would make this a 1 up bike and try to trick it out into a drag bike. I just wish we could squeeze more rubber in the rear. (whoa, now that sounded naaasty)

10. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Thanks Gbambeck1......

Managed to get the seat trimmed up, and shaped...

Used an angle grinder, and cutting wheel to trim the base. Then made the main cuts with a large knife. Followed by shaping it with the grinder, and soft disk....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Filled the outer edges with silicone, in order to make it flush. Hopefully make for some nice clean edges when I pull the vinyl over it.....

[​IMG]

Hoping the silicone will be hard enough to cover it tonight :D

Also got the front fender hacked up as well. Installed it, and felt it was sitting up to high. So I took it off, and moved the mounting holes up approx 1" in order to drop it down some. Unfortunetly, my cordless drill died, so, hoping to finish that up yet tonight as well.....

[​IMG]

Thought of going with out a front fender, but I think it will compliment the paint idea that I have in my head.

11. IkeO

IkeO Member

damn that looks great (the fender) definatly keep it. gives it personality.

12. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Thanks Man ! 8)

I ended up finishing the fender. Cut out the HEAVY inner bracket, in order to get it nice and close. Kept the side portions of the inner bracket for support though. She hugs the wheel much nicer than the picture above...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Never got the seat finished, as I ran out of staples :roll:

So I looked around for something else to do, and got thinking about how I was going to fit a tail light under the seat. I had looked at numerous tail lights on the internet, but they either never fit my application, or cost an arm and a leg. So I began to look around at what I could use to make my own tail light, and found this.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And after cutting and hacking for a while, I came up with this........

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just have to finish trimming the lens, and paint it black. I think it turned out alright :? Besides....The price was right :D

With any luck, I'll get the seat done tomorrow, after I pick up a motor for my other project.

Untill then I'll leave you with this thought..........

:idea: I see bike parts 8O .........

[​IMG]

Shhhhhhh....Don't tell the wife :twisted:

13. IkeO

IkeO Member

man im impressed. i love how you used part of the fender for the tail light. that looks awsome. i got a request. can i get a full side picture of your bike without the front wheel turned so i can see how that front fender looks. it definatly looks amazing so far.

if you havnt noticed im living vicariously through your project right now hahaha. i dont have a garage and my bike is is winterized right now under a cover so i cant even look at it if i wanted to. wish i could get some work done like your doing. keep it up!

14. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Sure thing.... I'll get one up tomorrow for you. Have to notch out the kick stand stop, so it leans left a little more. She stands straight up when the wheel is turned, do to lowering it. I've almost knocked it over a couple times by merely brushing against it 8O

Thanks for the kind words! 8)

Cheesy!

15. Hired_Goon

Hired_Goon Member

Careful there Cheesy, that HEAVY bracket under the fender actually acts as a fork brace. You may find the front end start to wander under braking if there is too much flex in the forks. By wander, I really mean dart and weave.

The rest is looking good though.

16. biggmeany2000

biggmeany2000 Member

Great Job ! I also like how you used your fender for a brake light housing. I can't wait to see more pics too. I also like customizing bikes the way i like them. Also makes them more comfortable if everything is made to fit you. Keep up the good work.

17. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Ahhhh..... Makes sense! Never even crossed my mind, that it may act as a stiffener. I'm use to sport bikes with plastic fenders. Oh well, I see lots of modded XJ's running without fenders, so hopefully she'll be good. Definetaly something to keep my eye on though!

Thanks ! 8)

18. Cheesy

Cheesy Member

Thanks meany....I should hopefully have more updated photo's later tonight for you. Ya, there's alway's a great sense of accomplishment after taking on something yourself, then sitting back and looking at the completed task.

19. mcrwt644

mcrwt644 Member

I'm not a big fan of these types of projects (I like the all stock), but man, you are doing a great job. Did you do any sort of fabrication professionally? you are really on the right track.

20. Timetonut

Timetonut Member

Wow. Your project looks like it is headed into some serious waves of deliciousness. I don't think I have a better way to put it. "Cheesecake and dark coffee for desert" delicious.