1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

question about front brakes

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by cheezehead, Jun 16, 2007.

1. cheezehead

cheezehead New Member

hi, i have an 83 750 midnight maxim. it has dual front disk brakes. i replaced the pads, but i still have a lack of stopping power. the brake handle doesn't bottom out, it feels like i have a ton of pressure on the system. i have stainless hoses that i replaced a few yrs ago, so it doesn't feel mushy. but it just doesn't feel like the pads are grabbing. i feel like i have to use too much force to stop. now granted i haven't ridden the bike for 3 yrs, i just bought it back from my brother. would the pad material make a difference? what type/brand of pads do you guys recommend? i scuffed up the rotor a little with 220 grit paper, and it seemed to help, but i didn't want to get carried away. what are the symptoms for a front caliper rebuild? thanks!

2. kontiki

kontiki Member

Have you replaced the fluid and bled the system? Its amazing how nasty and contaminated the old fluid will get (it should be clear).

I sucked out the old fluid from the resevoir and pumped all new stuff through the system (have plenty of extr a fluid available). There are several bleeding techniques (search the forums) but its not that hard just be patient.

Rebuilding the caliper and/or the master cylinder is probably a good idea also, but try the flush and bleed fisrt and see if that helps.

3. RickCoMatic

RickCoMatic Well-Known Member

Take the whole caliper and mount off the bike.

Pull-out the Mount.
    Clean the Caliper Travel Rods (Red)
    They have to really cleaned down to the just the smooth surface of the Rod.
    Clean the O-rings (Green) that keep-out dust and water and keep-in the grease.

Clean out the Cylinders (Blue) they travel within. Use ScotchBrite Pad to get-out any ugly, dried-up old grease. Make the inner surface of that Cylinder like NEW!

Grease with synthetic waterproof grease.

Smear the inside walls of the