1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

QUestion about the starter motor

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by RPHRIDER, Aug 6, 2014.

1. RPHRIDER

RPHRIDER Member

I have a problem with my 1982 Seca 550
    The bike starts and runs well, but after riding for a while and shutting off the bike the starter will not work.(does not spin at all like a dead battery) The bike can be roll started at that point and will run. The battery is pretty new and the bike has a volt meter that reads around 14 volts when cruising? After the bike cools off a long time the bike will start with the starter.

Why will the starter not work when bike is hot?
    How can I tell if my bike is running to hot?

The valves are adjusted, it has fresh 20W50 motorcycle oil.
    The bike starts right up and comes off the choke quickly ,runs well at all RPMs and idles fine. The plugs look tan in color.
    It feels like it might be running hot, but I don't know for sure.

Any Ideas on what I need to do next?

2. PilotSmack

PilotSmack Active Member

When you turn it on after it is hot, what does the voltmeter read? If you jump the starter solenoid when it's hot, does it spin?

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Duplicate the failure, then jumper across the two big terminals on the solenoid (which effectively bypasses it) and see if it spins.

Yes=solenoid issue.

No=starter.

4. Alain

Alain Member

I had similar issue with intermittent starter issues. Changed brushes but finally figured out it was the solenoid.

5. Beekman

Beekman XJ Grasshopper

I had a similar problem, first only wouldn't start when warm (solenoid just clicked) then slowly started giving me the problem when cold too. I had all the proper volt readings from my battery.

Rebuilt starter with new brushes remedied it.
    Try jumping the solenoid as fitz said, then you'll know if it's the starter.

6. skyhawk

skyhawk Member

It could benefit greatly from a rebuild. The grease was all hard in mine when I pulled it apart- no good. After 30+ years I just needed the end seals and some new grease. Now it works like a champ!