1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Question on handle bar throttle assembly

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by HeckticHaze, Nov 22, 2012.

1. HeckticHaze

HeckticHaze Member

I removed my handlebars today to start working on my forks. When I removed the throttle assemble rubber grip there was a tan powdery substance on the handlebar and the plastic cylinder under the rubber hand grip. Is this some type of graphite? Trying to find out if I need to put graphite on the handlebar before I reinstall the throttle assembly.

2. depthcharge711

depthcharge711 New Member

Every time I have changed my grips I have never used graphite. I have read in many places of people using various lubricants to assist putting the grips on, but remember if it made it easier to get on then they come off easier..not a good thing going down the road. I wish I could help more but that is the extent of my knowledge.

3. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

between the plastic tube and the metal bar i use just a touch of silicone spray. then between the plastic tube and the grip i've tried all sorts of things, hair spray, windex, dry, nothing seemed to work perfectly. the plastic seems to be naturally slippery. they do make something called "grip glue". i may have to try it

4. HeckticHaze

HeckticHaze Member

I just wanted to make sure I did not need anything special between the plastic and metal bar to make sure the throttle assembly would rotate smoothly on the handle bar when I reassemble. The rubber grips are in good shape so I don't have to replace them. Thanks guys for the reply.

5. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

I use a smear of white lithium grease on the bar so the throttle drum operates smoothly.

6. rocs82650

rocs82650 Well-Known Member

I bought new granturismo grips. Split and removed the old ones with a utility knife. Used hair spray to put the new ones on and maaaaaan I thought I had f'd up cause I was trying to put the throttle grip sleeve on the throttle grip to see how much of the grip I needed to file down and almost couldn't get it back off (LOL). If you do use hair spray...once they're on, they're on. Hope this helps.

P.S.- I didn't know "grips" made as much of a difference as they do.

Gary