1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

R6 wheels on a XJ550?

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by jtuner77, Feb 10, 2013.

1. jtuner77

jtuner77 New Member

I have been working on my XJ550 for a while now and have a whole Uk front end in a box on it's way to me but really am more at the point that I would want to make a street fighter/cafe out of this and really wanted a more beefy brake/shock set up. After seeing Clownman's set up it really makes me want to do the front end swap.

I would wanto to run a set of wheels from the R6 but not sure if it will work for the rear. I know it right is just alignment of the chain from the front to the rear sprocket, which I could possibly alter with a good spacer.

Thoughts on this guys?

2. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

The R6 has some sort of huge wide rear tire. The biggest 18" you can fit in a 550 swing arm is a 120; the widest 16" that will fit is a 130; and that would be a 130/90 or 130/80. The R6' rim would probably rub.

3. kenessex

kenessex Member

My Seca 550 race bike has CBR600F wheels on it. I have an FZ600 front end on it. I run a 110-17 front and a 150-17 rear. It fits in the stock swingarm.

Ken

4. mtnbikecrazy55

mtnbikecrazy55 Active Member

I need to see pics before i believe a 550 seca with a 170 tire in the stock swingarm

5. kenessex

kenessex Member

Me too, that is why I have a 150-17 on mine. :)

Ken

6. mtnbikecrazy55

oops well i need to see pics before i believe a 150 on the back of a stock 550 swingarm.

With the chain guard still on....

but i'd still like to see pics either way....

7. bigfitz52

He said it is his racebike. I doubt a chainguard is a concern.

8. bigfitz52

kenessex, Google is an amazing resource, I hope you don't mind. I seem to remember you posted some pics a while back, this was easier than digging for that thread.

Being 17" wheels, it looks like it fits fine to me:

[​IMG]

Can you believe this guy? His RACEBIKE still has its right side cover.

9. kenessex

kenessex Member

Thanks for posting up the pic. The right side cover is now long gone, it departed that race weekend. I even had it duct taped on after I lost it earlier in practice.

There is no chain guard, But, it would probably fit if it was slightly trimmed for tire clearance.

I had a VF750 Honda front end on at that point. It worked well, but I wanted it for a Honda project and put it on my Ascot race bike and put a spare FZ600 front end on the Seca. I still have the CBR600F wheels on it with Metzler Racetech tires. The Metzlers are the same carcass as Pirelli, so a 150 Pirelli should also fit.

Ken

10. mtnbikecrazy55

Well nicely done, nice looking bike.

Wouldnt happen to have that right side cover laying around somewhere would you? pm me if you do ;)

Hmm. But that's also going down to a 17" wheel - am i correct in saying that 120 is the widest that will fit with the stock wheel/swingarm?

Idk the benefit of going wider than a 120 i guess though, my maxim runs a 130/90-16 and thats a much larger bike.

I imagine a fatter tire would be slower for acceleration.

I'm just still on the fence about what tires to run, the dunlop 404's look to run me 175 mounted, and then i have about 300$ i have to spend on other stuff before all is said and done. gettin there i guess.

11. kenessex

kenessex Member

I probably wouldn't go wider than a 120 or maybe a 130 on the stock rear wheel. It is only a WM3, 2.15, width so the profile would end up wrong with a wider tire. Since you aren't planning on keeping the bike stock, I might look at some other wheels. The FZ600 has a 2.75 rear and the FZR600 has a 3,75 or 4.0 wide rear. You could put a ,140 rear on either of those. The matching front for the FZR might use the same bolt pattern as the Seca front disc, but I don't remember off hand. All my bikes and parts are in WI and I am in AK so I won't be able to check anything until July.

I do have a spare set of Seca wheels and an exhaust and some other parts, but the side cover was lost somewhere on a racetrack. I forget now whether it was Road America, Mid-Ohio, Barber or Blackhawk Farms.

Ken