1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rear suspension lift

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by smythe302, Dec 10, 2007.

1. smythe302

smythe302 New Member

I'm interested in altering the rear suspension slightly on my seca. What I'd like to do is effectively lengthen the rear shock/spring to lift the seat and rear end. I'm only thinking 1-3"ish. I think that's all that would be needed to get the stance I want.

There are a couple options for how to do this, the first is buying some longer spring/shock sets and using the same mounts. Or I could do something similar to low150's 550 project and fab some lift mounts for using the existing spring/shock sets.

Now before anyone says it, yes it will look more like a sport bike. Yes I know its not a sport bike. No, I dont care if you dislike sport bikes. Its my bike, not yours.

My questions pertain to the handling and safety of such a mod. I know this will change the U-joint angle, and I want to be mindfull of that so it doesn't wear or bind. Also, it seems that this would slightly raise and move forward the center of gravity. Could someone with more riding experience tell me if that is going to create a huge issue with handling? It will reduce the effective rake angle somewhat too. would that increase the likelyhood of headshake? I'm a big tall guy, so the higher seat height wont bother me... Am I missing something important?

What do you all think?

2. Fraps

Fraps Member

I'd love to do the same thing. At 6'4", I dwarf the bike.

3. smythe302

smythe302 New Member

4. low-1-5-0

low-1-5-0 Member

look at getting a set of rear air shocks off an 80's 750cc Kawasaki, I've been told that they will give you a 1-2 inch lift and will bolt on...but you may want to research it first!

5. smythe302

smythe302 New Member

There's a guy on ebay that's got shock sets on the cheap. Cyclepartsdirect... anyone have experience with these? are they a good deal or you get what you pay for. For less than a C note, new shocks and springs that work nice and look nice. I'm thinking this is the way to go.

6. Gbambeck1

Gbambeck1 Member

You get what you pay for....

7. Ace_Frehley

Ace_Frehley Member

What about a pair of shocks off a Harley, you can get some take offs on Ebay pretty cheap. ANd it should be pretty easy to find some longer shocks cause most guys switch them out for shorter shocks

8. smythe302

smythe302 New Member

You've got experience with these Gbambeck1?

Ace, I saw a bunch of HD but they were all 12.5" like my stockers...