1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rear Suspension Technical Question

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by day7a1, May 28, 2011.

1. day7a1

day7a1 Member

I need new rear shocks, and will likely get the Progressive Suspension 412 series, as they are a decent price. But I see a difference in price of about $60 between two different types of shocks with the same dimensions, plus I would rather have an all black suspension rather than the chrome, which is the only option with the recommended fitment for my XJ650J.

What is the difference between the 412-4001C and the 412-4206C, they use the same 03-1367C spring and have the same dimensions for the shock itself. The only difference I can see from the data sheet is that the 4001 comes in black also, but the 4206 come only in chrome. What is the difference that warrants a different part number?

I've done my research using the Specifications and Technical Documentation found on the PS website.

Anybody know? I've emailed the company....but they just tried to upsell me to a 430 series! I feel like I've come across a secret that no one wants to reveal, that the EXACT same shock is sold to two different models for two different prices!

2. Abeja

Abeja Member

Just going by the part numbers, the 4001 is in chrome or black ... the 4206 is in chrome only.

The 4206 comes with the "bow tie" lower chrome pieces (it's a fitment thing) and perhaps the 4001 comes with the other lower spring cover that is turned the opposite direction (those have no "bow ties" cut into them as well). They make the upturned chrome piece for older AHRMA type bikes (Maicos, Huskys, CZs, Ossas, Bultacos etc ..) that have the sprocket really close to the swingarm. So those shocks cannot have the bow-tie type chrome lower. So those shocks get their own part number. That is what the 4001 MAY be. Just guessing here.

If you go to someone like Dennis Kirk and check the fitment page for this shock, you'll see that it fits a LOT of bikes. All of them use the exact same shock body (12-1201). Only difference being the added on stuff like the spring or chromey parts. They don't really *revalve* anyt of their bodies for different bikes. They pretty much make one welded shock body (using the old Gabriel car shock manufacturing tooling that PSI bought decades ago, from what we've been made to understand). So I wouldn't worry about different valvings in different part umbers. Stay in the same family (12 series bodies, foir instance) and the valving stays pretty much the same. You'll notice they offer the same shock body for shaft bikes OR chain bikes. So that tells you they do NOT revalve for different bikes, just repsring.

That one "12-1201" body is applied to tons of different bikes, be them shaft or be them chain ... same body, same valving, same eye alignment.. :)

Call PSI. Speak to Bryce at ext 216. He is way cool and doesn't try to push anything on you.

:)

Abeja.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

OR, you could go with just the good old plain "12-Series" get black springs (sold separately) pitch the plastic top covers, and have all-black "nekkid" shocks/springs. As below:

[​IMG]

4. day7a1

day7a1 Member

Yea, Fitz, that's exactly what I decided to do. I found a place here in Cali that can get the 12-1201b with the 03-1367 springs for $205, which is a problem I was having with the PS line, there is a decent size price difference between what appeared to be very similar shocks.

I recieved some emails from Bryce, he said "Those 2 shocks have different eyelet offsets and the valving internally is very different as well." He was also the one who recommended the 430 series over the 12's, 14's, and 412's. I said no, thanks.

After I posted, I remembered that my neighbor rides a sportster, so I went and looked. The eyelets are quite a bit wider. By eyeball only 1 inch to our 22mm, if I had to guess from the look and experience of what sizes are commonly used. I don't know if that is the difference, as you could always use a spacer to fit the harleys and use the same shock you use on the metrics.

I never got an answer about the 14 series, which is a lot less expensive...just don't know why.