1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Rear wheel help

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by briwod, Mar 31, 2010.

1. briwod

briwod New Member

After reading all the warnings about rear brake delamination I decided to take a look at mine before getting on the road this spring. Followed the manual for removing the rear wheel and everything went well. Axle came out with a little twisting, no frozen bolts, couldn't believe how easy it was to get the wheel off. Checked the brakes and there is no sign of delamination and plenty of material left so I went to put the wheel back on, which is when I hit a minor snag. Took the wheel over to the bike and there under the rear end was a heavily greased washer about 1/8" thick laying on the floor. Since I did not see the washer fall when I took the wheel off I don't know where it came from. I looked over the schematics in the Haynes manual and parts manual that I have and I can't figure out where the washer goes. I see a thing called a flange spacer in the diagram, but I didn't remove the bearings so it can't be that. There is also a spacer that fits over the axle where it goes through the brake plate, but it looks like that would be exposed so it wouldn't have clean grease on it like the part that I found. If anyone can point me to the possible location where this mystery washer might fit I would appreciate it.

2. PainterD

PainterD Active Member

If it's he same as mine (750 Seca) it was probably just the axle washer that fell out when you pulled the axle out. There should be one under the axle nut.

3. briwod

briwod New Member

That would be the likely suspect, but I have that washer accounted for. I took that off with the axle nut. The mystery washer is caked in clean grease like it was enclosed in the wheel hub. Is there any reason why there would be a spacer in the wheel hub?

4. greggvickrey

greggvickrey Member

briwod, just looked at my 81, there is a washer that goes on the axle shaft betweenthe axle & brake hub on right side. That could be what you are missing.

5. greggvickrey

greggvickrey Member

Just checked my shop manual, it shows a spacer flange (washer) between the bearing & the lng spacer inside. Maybe what you have.

6. briwod

briwod New Member

greggvickrey, thanks for letting me know the layout on yours. I think you are right that it is the washer that goes to the right side of the brake hub on the axle. I had already ruled out the spacer flange because I didn't take the bearings out so there is no way that would be exposed.

7. greggvickrey

greggvickrey Member

NO problem, glad I could help.
    Gregg