1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

removing decals for painting

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by DarthBob, Feb 12, 2007.

1. DarthBob

DarthBob Member

My 550 still has its original paint and decals, and though the tail and sidecovers look ok, the tank is very faded/ discolored. I figured a nice winter or spring project would be a new paint job. I've read that the decals can be sanded off, or subjected to solvents and heat and peeled off. I have no problem doing either of these to the metal tank, but what about the plastic parts? I'm thinking sanding might scratch them up, but I also don't want to melt them. Any tips? or where's a good resource?

2. LincsTriker

LincsTriker Member

In the past, I have used a hair dryer to remove the decals on plastic. Did it on a scooter I was doing up for my son's 16th.

Peal back a tiny bit on a corner (or side) then direct the hairdryer on full heat between the decal and the panel, then as it softens gently peal the decal back while continuing to use the hairdryer. Haven't tried it with a full on heat gun, was worried in case it miss- shaped the plastic. After the decal is removed I used White spirit and a small piec of wire wool to remove any of the glue thats left. All the panels sprayed up ok after. For spraying I used rattle cans, 2 coats of plastic primer, sanded smooth, then sprayed with colour of choice etc.

The only extra cost was a new hairdryer for the Mrs! Should've asked first!
    Hope this helps.
    Lea

3. bosozoku

bosozoku Member

All of the above, and use a soft scraper like an old credit card as a tool for persuading the softened decal off.

4. Fraps

Fraps Member

Watch out if you use a Heat gun instead of a blow dryer. It will bubble the paint and/or melt the plastic easily. I was using mine (heat gun) to strip the paint from some old windows I was cleaning up and the heat from my heat gun cracked the window.

Point is, they throw some solid heat. Be careful.

Rob

5. DarthBob

DarthBob Member

Looks like the missus is getting a new hairdryer for Valentine's day. I don't know what White spirit is, Linc, I figured I'd use a little acetone or maybe some Goo gone to get any residual adhesive off, will acetone mess up the plastic? or I should I use just 000 steel wool?

6. Switz1

Switz1 Member

My 81 750 has badges on tank but no screws, im assuming they are glued?, thinkin bout taking them off to detail.

7. Fraps

Fraps Member

Acetone will eat paint and to my knowledge melts plastic. Goo gone is the better bet or some WD40 works well.

8. danno

danno Member

They are adhered via double-sided tape,the hairdryer method works well to remove them. Simply warm the emblem, pull up an edge with your fingernail or a plastic scraper,and continue to heat as you pull the emblem off. I have had good results removing any left over residue with WD-40,but you might need to use something more aggressive.

9. Gearhead76

Gearhead76 Member

The tanks is easy, for the emblems soak them with wd-40 works great, as for the rest of the tank a good paint stripper, As for the plastic the best is hand sanding, takes a while but don't get impatient with it and go to a courser grit paper, you'll just end up with a headache. I start with 400 gritt and work my way to 1500 grit, wet sanding makes the sandpaper last longer, If you use courser then a 400 gritt you'll scratch the plastic and make more work for you

that's been my experience.

10. LincsTriker

LincsTriker Member

White Spirit is what we use for cleaning paint brushes, thinning oil based paints etc, it's not as strong as acetone. Petrol (gas!) may work, or try engine degreaser.

(two countries seperated by a common language! :lol: )

Lea

11. Ace_Frehley

Ace_Frehley Member

Goo Gone is what I have used before on plastic - I've heard peanut butter works too - smear it on and let it sit, the oil in th PB softens the glue and the residue comes right off. And if not you'll have the makings of a half decent sandwich ;)

12. MacMcMacmac

MacMcMacmac Member

I used to use 3M Adhesive remover when I worked on car lots. It does an excellent job. When I removed the stripes from my 900 Seca, I simply rubbed them off by hand, but it was tedious work.

13. DarthBob

DarthBob Member

Being a manly man (with short hair) I was unfamiliar with this new tool called "the hair dryer" but it worked like a charm. Unfortunately, the credit card I was using as a scraper broke after only the side covers, so I guess I'll have to wait until one of my other cards expires or gets cancelled, unless of course, someone wants to loan me one....

14. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Goo Gone or Goof Off will do the trick, available at your local Wal-Mart.