1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

RFID Proximity Antitheft

Discussion in 'XJ Modifications' started by Mechanic1978, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Mechanic1978

Mechanic1978 Active Member

This system installs in the ignition wiring to reroute the ignition power to a separate aftermarket control module that without the secondary proximity key there is no way to start the machine. Or if wired in the main power from battery no power to anything at all which is what I opted to do.

These can be put on almost anything that runs on 12 to 15vdc such as campers, motorcycles, scooters, lawnmowers, cars, trucks, ATV’s etc…

Install these units deep into the bike to ensure no tamper access, so when a thief tries to rotate your ignition lock with his trusty flat head, weather he is successful or not the power from the ignition is blocked by the RFID unit. Most newer bikes have a resistor or some sort of antitheft, but that’s not always the case with older machines, that we sometimes spend more money on restoring than we will ever get back out of it, so this is a antitheft for anything 12vdc, but mostly for your older bikes where the need is greater. The kit comes with a relay, but I recommend upgrading it to a more weather proof one. The unit is very inexpensive and easy to install, and has almost unlimited uses. The one I’m showing here is the exact one I use, there are several other styles out there but the price is nice for this little gem… (Remember it’s just a fancy hands free switch)

Just type this number into the eBay search and hit enter…It's like $12.99 free shipping, and 12.99 is cheap for the peace of mind it delivers in this manner of use.

eBay
    Listing Number - 251275918306

Install the main unit hidden deep, and almost inaccessible for anyone but you, then run the sensor pickup up to top near keys or behind a side panel if keeping key separate from ignition key, (key fob chip needs to be continually in proximity of sensor pad tag at least 3” over/near the sensor) and pow! It releases the power to the bike.

I was at a “bike night” event a few years ago in downtown Indianapolis, and there was a crew of 6 men and 1 woman going around the event watching for owners of parked bikes to walk away, one was constantly following the owner to be able to notify the others if he was coming back or not, while the remaining 5 men would just pick a bike up set it on a pre positioned flat trailer parked by the woman and drive away. It took 4 weeks for law enforcement to get enough info to locate (some) peoples bikes and arrest the culprits and return their bikes. But when the bikes were found they had already been many parts removed, some were just rolling chassis'. They were stealing bikes to part them out. Police found a box truck loaded with parts from other bikes as well from other surrounding states. Now, I know in an event like this no security will help, however not all thief’s work in teams, and thank the lord for GPS locating systems.

My personal experience was this: during work one day we get a notification that a DuPont training/informational workshop would be held in our conference room for any techs that wanted to voluntarily attend, and those that did would receive that time paid. So I adjusted my after work planed riding time, at days end I rode bike to front of the dealership closer to meeting room and so sales people had clear view of my bike. Half way into this workshop, we get a sales lady poking her head into the door asking if I was in the meeting, because there was a guy sitting on my bike, Now I’m friends with this lady, so she knew I didn’t let anyone ride this specific bike. The Instructor of the workshop gasps, Ohh no! I walk to the windows of our dealership to see this guy sitting on my bike trying to insert something into the ignition lock, baffled by his boldness to have put the riding gloves I had left on my tank on his hands. I walk out with disgust and anger and aggressively ask him what the F#$k he is trying to do, this guy immediately jumps off in the opposite direction of me pulls my gloves off tossing them on the ground as he walks away in a hurry and says” I just wanted to look at it”. I continue to watch him walk down the street, when I see this guy cross the street and start to peer into people’s car windows… nothing goes down and he walks out of sight.

He was sticking one of his own keys into my ignition in broad day light by an open dealership while parked 6ft in the front of the sales department entry doors, all glass storefront. No damage was rendered, but I felt that if he had gotten it to turn by some miracle that his method made almost everyone around think it was his, and could have if it worked for him ridden away… so I found this to make up for a possible hacked ignition lock, and works flawlessly, I get on any of my bikes, turn the key, and all is normal, as long as the chip fob is on my key ring, anyone else tries to and whether or not they break it and get it to turn, the chip is not there so still no power anywhere. I ran the sensor up my frame rail under the tank and sticky taped it to the neck of the steering head within inches of my ignition lock. I could provide a wiring diagram, but each install/bike/person will need/want it different to suit their needs. But I will be glad to answer any questions on your install.

2. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Around here theives just pick the bike up and put it into a van. Then they drive away and dismantle it for parts at their leisure.

Added layers of security do help prevent the individual thief though.

chacal likes this.