1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Ride my XJ650 Maxim 1982 from Canada to Argentina.... Recomendation ???

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Julien Lamaignere, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Julien Lamaignere

Julien Lamaignere New Member

Hi guys,
    I'm Julien , I got my XJ650 Maxim 1982 since April and already ride throught Canada and USA.
    It's my first bike and like it. I'm new ride
    I plan to ride from Canada to Argentina on bike next September 2020, I don't plan to ride off road or moutain track. So this winter plan to work on a bike.
    I need some advise and recommendation , principaly about my driveshaft. I'm thinking about buy a new one this winter , change all sealing... and take with me a old one , in case.
    I don't know if someone on a forum , try it or got some experience to ride on South America ?

Thanks

2. kerriskandiesinc

kerriskandiesinc Active Member

No, I haven't but I'm willing to bet, unless you DO go off-road, a lot, your driveshaft will outlast your engine!!
    the one thing I MIGHT consider, if that were me, would be better rear shocks.....air assisted, if you could run to that....probably not really needed, but they will give both you and your driveshaft possibly a ...easier, more comfortable time !!

Reasoning: I had a driveshaft go to 240K.....still running, but yes a bit 'clunky' on first gear takeoff.....as long as you regularly change your final drive oil, I doubt you'll have any problems !!

Reasoning pas deux: When I changed my rear shocks for the very excellent, but also very expensive Fournale air shocks ( French company) my rear tyre mileage went up....IE I mean I got between 3-5K miles MORE from my rear tyres.....similar results on my Kawasaki 900R ( Ninja) with Fournale air mono shock

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    Franz likes this.
  3. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about the driveshaft, that seems to be an indestructible component on these.
    Your bike will need to be in great operating condition as break downs in scarce areas could be a big problem, with riding the bus your best solution.
    Read as much as you can here to prepare your bike. Read on the adventure touring sites as to necessities to take along.
    Put new clutch and throttle cables in before you go. Take along spare brake and clutch levers or install bark busters, all it takes is some kids playing on your bike to tip it over.
    I've never done any adventure touring alone and last 20 years always on a KLR650, same bike as riding companions and we're able to streamline our spares inventory that way. I'm assuming you already speak Spanish/Portuguese so that's probably your biggest asset. I'm jealous as hell.

Stumplifter and Franz like this.
  4. kerriskandiesinc

All great and valid points, I'd hope most of 'old timers' already ride with the time honoured spare clutch cable, cable tied to the original, ditto for the throttle!!

5. Julien Lamaignere

Hi guys,
    Thanks for your recommendations, I will plan to do a big check up, change fews part too. For a clutch / brake lever, I will , week ago drop a bike and broke clutch lever during my road trip usa, rode 200 kms without lol.
    About rear shocks , I thinking to change it. On bigger open everything , change gasket, lube everything. Check my manual and do all maintenance.
    Not at all , need to start to learn.
    But 8 years agos, I don't spoke english, never left Europe before, and on my way , find a job in Thailande, travel throught Kazakhstan... And continue since....
    I don't check and read too much about others adventure, only about papers for borders .... Like to get my experience.
    4 years agos, I rode 5000kms during 6 weeks around North and South of New Zealand on scooter 50cc Chinese brand lol

Also I thourght about built a small monowheel trailer , some of got experience about it

Thanks

Attached Files:

6. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

the driveshaft U joint is not available any more. a used spare would be a good Idea.
    we have a guy here from Argentina who found a replacment u joint from a car that works and fit

7. kerriskandiesinc

Francais??

8. Julien Lamaignere

Yes, I'm . Nobody is perfect lol

9. kerriskandiesinc

Lol!

What region....used to visit Le Mans and Le Castellet, for the 24 Hour races, very often

10. Julien Lamaignere

I 'm From Bordeaux, South west, but currently I 'm living at Toronto

11. Simmy

Simmy Well-Known Member

You should research what will be required for vehicle permits and insurance in each country.
    Some may not require insurance at all but that is a big risk if something were ever to happen.
    The last time I toured in Mexico I just buzzed past the Mexican border station on the way home without surrendering my vehicle permit.
    My brother was with me then. He went back the following winter and they wouldn't issue him another permit because he hadn't surrendered his last one.
    He was on the same bike and was able to show them he hadn't sold it in Mexico.
    This means I'm probably in their books as an illegal bike importer, LOL.

Log on here and ask about permits & insurance, guaranteed someone will answer.
    https://advrider.com/

Stumplifter likes this.
  12. kerriskandiesinc

I would definitely make sure you have some kind of health insurance!! ( on a per Country basis!)
    You may kave 'free' health care in Canada ( as I did mostly whilst touring Europe) but you want to make sure you are covered for catastrophes....< the gods forbid, in each country you are visiting, especially US, health costs can be........diabolical over here !

13. Julien Lamaignere

14. Julien Lamaignere

Yes, since 8 years to travel around a world , I always travel with insurance + funeral cover. But i need to check every country about motorcycle insurance.

Thanks

15. XJ550H

XJ550H Well-Known Member Premium Member

you may also want to send things to yourself via general delivery to post offices along your route. so you do not have to carry it all with you.

16. cgutz

cgutz Well-Known Member

I recommend you put new brake shoes/pads in it before you leave, if you haven't done so already.

Parts for any motorcycle may be hard to find in some remote areas, much less a 30+ year old bike.

17. kerriskandiesinc

Good advice, but on the other side of that coin, the XJ will undoubtedly be easier to 'backyard' mechanic, should you need to, than most 'modern' bikes ( ECM, computer controlled systems, ABS, Ride by wire, Fuel injection, etc, etc !!)

cgutz likes this.
  18. chacal

chacal Moderator Moderator Supporting Vendor Premium Member

We ship worldwide! Typically the same day order is placed. But shipping to Central or South America can get pricey, and a few customers have said to never send things by post office, the local post offices are not quite as, ummm, "reliable" as in USA and Canada, etc. (meaning you won't ever get it, or you'll have to bribe them to get it...…..). We've always been asked to ship to those regions by Fed-Ex or UPS.

19. k-moe

k-moe Pie, Bacon, Bourbon. Moderator Premium Member

Head over to advrider.com before your trip. There are more international motorcycles on that site than anywhere else in the world. You'll be able to get great advice, and fresh updates about the state of legal stuff and border crossings.

Stumplifter likes this.
  20. Julien Lamaignere

I sould be ok, in general , my stuff is a same from a start to a end of trip. but yes maybe some souvenir for family , or I get in trouble lol