1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Riding Boots/Shoes

Discussion in 'Hangout Lounge' started by Dispatcher, May 24, 2007.

1. Dispatcher

Dispatcher Member

Sneakers & sandals aside, what type of boots/shoes do you prefer when riding? I'm currently wearing 8" Justin lace up plain toes, after learning that most (but not all) steel toe boots (or boots with thick lug soles) are too thick for quick and comfortable shifting. I've been looking at the 6" or 10" (?) Timberland Downshifters. Also, it seems like most of the Harley Davidson "riding" boots look cool, but seem very impractical for shifting.

2. Justice

Justice Member

I wear a pair of Wolverines for riding, takes a bit to get used to shifting with them, but after a while its OK.

3. Altus

Altus Active Member

The reason most steel-toe & Hardley Ableson boots aren't great for shifting on our bikes is because they weren't meant for it.
    Steel toes were meant for safety in a workplace - which is fine.
    The HD boots (and many like them) are meant for someone riding a giganto-poser-cruiser which comes with...... a heel-toe shifter! So they never have to put a toe UNDER a shifter at all - everything's done with downward movements.

I've been riding with a set of all leather Engineer style boots, but thinking of actually spending some $$ and getting some Sidi On-Road's

4. gitarzan

gitarzan Member

I wear any old boots that feel good. :!:

5. coastie550XJ

coastie550XJ Member

i wearing hiking boots that i had bought from walmart or someplace like that

6. Robert

Robert Active Member

Navy steel toed flight deck boots here. Not pretty but quite robust and not a problem shifting as the toe isn't huge. Of course I've been a bad boy lately, I'm wearing my work shoes to work and they arent' near as tough.

7. Scrape

Scrape Member

I wear a Redwing logging boot with steel toes and I can shift OK.

Redwing Boots

8. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden Member

Not trying to be preachy, but lace-up boots are not the best choice. They come apart easier than you might think in a long slide. Plus, non-motorcycle boots are not reinforced in the right spots for crash protection.

You can order, from www.newenough.com , motorcycle specific boots that have the right protection, and are waterproof for under $100.

I use Alpinestars for off road, and Tourmaster for on road. Both work for their respective riding. The Alpinestars are stiff for greater protection, waterproof, and have reinforced soles for prolonged peg standing.

The Tourmasters are much softer, soft soled for easy shifting, walking comfort, and have reinforcement in the ankles for the prevention of burn-through in a slide.

Anyhow, that's my $0.02, and worth what you paid for it. :lol:

Jim 8)

9. MGM8675309

MGM8675309 Member

Icon Field Amour Chukka Boots
    I don't like high top boots and low top shoes offer no ankle protection. I used to wear either sneakers or my steel toed work shoes. I'd be interested in trying on some Sidi's next time i'm shopping for moto boots.
    [​IMG]

10. 2001FZ1

2001FZ1 Member

Good Post Jim!!!

A buddy of mine used to wear work boots when he rode but after crashing and receiving severe cuts and scrapes just above his ankle, he decided that motorcycle boots with proper protection were in order.

Spend $100-200 on a good pair of motorcycle boots. They will last for years, so it is a good investment.

I bought a pair of Joe Rocket Hard Drive Boots ~ water proof and comfortable too!
    http://www.motoxoutlet.com/index.asp?Pa ... ProdID=917

11. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
  12. Alive

Alive Active Member

I have a pair of Gaerne bike boots and have had em for a couple of years now.

I pretty much never ride in anything other than bike boots for reasons given above.

I suggest getting on the net or go do some window shopping until you find some boots that you like and are comfortable :)

13. woot

woot Active Member

<a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=44.777479+-
    Alive: Funny that eh? Bike boots, designed for riding a bike, are BETTER than random footware designed to walk/work in. ;)

14. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

15. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

Same boots here. I did a little gravel slide, and it didn't even dent the boots outer skin. They are great boots, and rather affordable. I got them from www.ironpony.com on closeout last fall for less than $100.

16. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Iron Pony is right up the road. A friend of mine is a manager there, points us to the good/new stuff when we drop in.

17. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

yeah, I'd like to make a trip there myself. Where in OH is it?

18. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

Columbus. Westerville actually, if you know the area. Probably 3 hrs for you running 70-75mph. From Pa., come straight out 70 , north on 270, south on Rt.3 and it's a mile down on the left. Unless you come through Youngstown, then it's west on 76, south on 71, east on 270, south on rt. 3. That place is huge, an old K-Mart packed full of bike stuff. Be forwarned though, there's a lot of motocross stuff, a mountain of apparel and helmets, and tires out the wazoo. Custom parts are relatively scarce, but there are some around. They do have all of the maintenence parts you'd need for any basic job, i.e. fluids, plugs etc. but if you're looking for a wide selection of radical forward controls, or 22" ape hangers, this is not the place. I'm sure they could order whatever you might need, but then you'd have to come back or have it shipped to you, and you can do that from home...

19. PghXJ

PghXJ Member

I'd be going to look at riding jackets, pants, helmets, etc...

Just to see it. I know I could get stuff locally, but it is like travelling to Summit Racing for me. :D

20. kevineleven

kevineleven Member

I've been to Summit a few times, real nice place. We have Jegs headquarters here too, a similar place, although a bit smaller.