1. Hello Guest. You have limited privileges and you can't "SEARCH" the forums. Please "Log In" or "Sign Up" for additional functionality. Click HERE to proceed.

Riding on Gravel..

Discussion in 'XJ Technical Chat' started by jegbuddy, Jul 17, 2009.

1. jegbuddy

jegbuddy New Member

Does any one have some steps to help set up a bike to travel better on gravel roads.. It is harvest season here which means that I will be driving 10- 15 miles on gravel twice a day... Just looking for any ideas.. like= should I change the way the shocks are set.... different tires? ( I am running Bridgestone s11 spitfire.)

2. Pacocase

Pacocase Member

Deep gravel sucks. It's almost like snow. Changing tires would be a big pain. I would just recommend traveling slowly and carefully.

3. bigfitz52

bigfitz52 Well-Known Member Premium Member

If it's going to be PURE gravel, so that you'll be able to reverse the "adjustments" before getting back on pavement, I'd set my rear shocks at mid-range and let about 4-5 pounds of air out of my tires. DO NOT run with soft tires on the street though.

Or heck, just throw a big ol' knobby on the back and a dual-sport on the front, remove the front fender and the mufflers and go scramblin' old school.

4. jegbuddy

jegbuddy New Member

I have a tire changer ... so it isnt a big deal. The bad thing is I have to drive 30 miles more on pavemnt.. I will be putting on 120+ day.. last year it was a pain .. hit a deer. I work in town in the day and night on the farm. Either ride the bike or the 350 diesel... Bike makes more sense..

The gravel isnt deep the trucks make a pretty bare trail.

5. xj650ss

xj650ss Member

not to much you can do just take it easy on the gravel and inspect your tires often as the gravel can and likely will chew the crap out of them.
    Shaun

6. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Stay where the trucks have packed the gravel. Watch for loose spots.

When on the gravel you need to "steer", not the countersteer you are used to on the pavement. Very little to no lean angle.

Dual sport tires are made for the circumstances you describe. If the harvest season is long enough it might be worth your trouble to swap them out. They won't stick to the pavement like street tires will though.

7. SLKid

SLKid Active Member

I drive gravel roads every once and a while here. I just take it reaaal slow, and i take care NOT to lean.
    How to do adjust your rear shocks?? Is there a way to check em? Do they have fluid in them?? I've been wondering about that for a while now

8. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

Use a lower gear and higher revs as well, don't worry to much what the rear is doing just keep the front pointing where you want it

9. Jackncoke

Jackncoke Member

I have two ideas, find someone you know at the end of the gravel to drop truck off and pick up bike.

If you cant find anyone, training wheels!
    Gravel and snow sucks :(, black ice is kind of fun though - if you like suprises.

10. Polock

Polock Well-Known Member

stand on the pegs like a dirt bike shift your weight to the outside peg in corners don't touch the front brake

11. MiCarl

MiCarl Active Member

Yeah, that's VERY important. Will smack you right to the ground.

12. Kickaha

Kickaha Active Member Premium Member

I used to regularly travel 20km odd of shingle road on an XJ550 and would often incorporate them into my travels as there were literally dozens of them in my area

Unless you're going balls out there's no need to stand like a dirt bike and generally road bike handlebars aren't set up right to allow you to do it comfortably, despite what people say you can use the front brake quite hard if you're careful about it

get a bit of confidence after you've been doing it a while and you can steer on the throttle or rear brake

My highest speed on a shingle road? 160kmh indicated on an XJ550 8)

13. Galamb

Galamb Member

Hi SLKid,
    that's a good question. How do you adjust the rear shocks??
    I am not sure, but I think I read somewhere, that you need a tool for adjusting. I often wondered about it too. When I have a passenger on the back and hit some bumps. She feels like bottoming out. Mine is adjusted to about half way.
    May be we'll get some info on this.

14. skeeter

skeeter Member

i think i read in "proficient motorcycling" that it also helps to shift your weight forward to keep more weight on the front tire.

i live on a gravel road so i do 6 miles of gravel (round trip) every time i leave the house.

haven't had too many issues, straightaways i usually can do 35mph, but i slow way down for turns. although be warned to watch for changing conditions. when they grade the road, it really loosens up.